? About Goat Prices

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by Tyler, Feb 17, 2010.

1. Tyler

Tyler New Member

Apr 26, 2009
    Central Illinois
    I have a person interested in buying one of my nubian/boer goats as a pet. I'm not sure just how much to sell for, though. Any suggestions?

2. ProctorHillFarm

ProctorHillFarm New Member

pet goats in this area is max $200 (thats for a doe)
    pet boys- $100-$150

3. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    in my area- for cross breds only
    pet wethers- $50-$75
    pet does- $100

breeding does- $100-$300 (depending on cross)
    and there arent many crossed bucks.

4. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    i'd say at least 75, if not higher.. My prices in socal have dropped like mad.. becauase people are breeding 40-50 does per herd and just flooding the mini market, I can barely get 25 for a wether. and i have to keep most of the does.. but that's why they're leaving..

a standard size wether i can get 75 - 125 for, either as a weedeater pet or at the carneceria, and standard does sell for 250-500

5. Nubiansrus1

Nubiansrus1 New Member

Sep 2, 2009
    Your goat prices are good compared to ours it sounds like. Around here you can pick up a cross bred adult for about $50... if its boer slightly more cause everyone is into meat goats [though I do dairy] Registered does are about $100-$200... Ive seen people almost giving away registered bucks here. A nice bottle feed baby doe is about the only thing bringing much here.

6. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    that's for registered show girls.. i dont do pets or unregistered.. I put too much money into making show goats to sell them as family pets

7. Nubiansrus1

Nubiansrus1 New Member

Sep 2, 2009

Ok I was confused because she said someone wanted it as a pet, I thought she was asking for pet prices.

8. goatnutty

goatnutty Active Member

Oct 9, 2007
    South East,IN
    It depends how the market is in your area...around here you can get pets for like 50 dollars.

9. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Check the prices in your area by searching your local craigs list.... I sell mini pets at 65 for wethers and 85 for does, in my area there are others that sell mini cross does for 125! Since I only have 2 cross does kidding each year, I figure on staying at the price I have.

10. One thing folks have a hard time with is asking too much. The thing to remember is, what have you put into that animal and what does that animal mean to you? In other words if you are next to a farm who feed no grain and have skinny brush goats and is selling them at the low price of whatever, that does not mean that your goat should have to be brought down to that low quality. The value of the animal is gone when you try to compare to lower quality animals in your area. I can tell you right now, no one in my area sells their goats for the amounts I do. However, I am lower then a lot of people in my breed. The way I see it, if you want a cheap animal you will get what you pay for. Now I am not saying don't be reasonable but remember, you animals have a value and someone wanting that value will see it. Now when you mix that in with someone who is in it for money, greed, or just pain unreal with reality is when you see overpriced goats going no where. LOL

11. Dreamchaser

Dreamchaser New Member

Oct 29, 2008
    Camp Verde, AZ
    Wow, that seems high to me. $50 - $75 for full grown, or weaned goats in my area, $75 - $150 for a registered milk goat, and upward for show goats here. You can also get a bottle baby for $15 - $25 here. I lucked out and got my 2 full grown does for $25 a piece, so there are some deals.

12. Tyler

Tyler New Member

Apr 26, 2009
    Central Illinois
    Thanks everybody! :)

13. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    It just depends on what they're willing to pay and what you want to get out of her. You could ask them to make an offer and if you like it great, if not tell them your bottom $. But $50 to $150 depending on what your doe looks like, how she produces, etc. will all play into her cost. I'd recommend checking craigslists around your area to see what everyone else is asking though. ;)

14. Nubiansrus1

Nubiansrus1 New Member

Sep 2, 2009

Id love to know where you can get bottle babies for that price. :) Two grown does for $25 would be nice too lol

15. Personally for a nice doe unregistered I do not see 100-150.00 as a bad price. When you consider the time etc you have put into her I see that as very fair. Bottom line is a person will get that back very easy if she is ever bred and if not, well who can put a price of a family member. I love every one of my "pets" the price fades the longer you have them. In fact I don't even remember some of them. LOL Worth every scent though.

16. Dreamchaser

Dreamchaser New Member

Oct 29, 2008
    Camp Verde, AZ
    There is a creamery near me, they only want the milk, not the kids.

17. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    my pet prices are the same as my registered prices,

the way i see it, they're gettin an animal who's life was planned out to be a good match for udders , structure and personality, they arent gonna break down any time soon.

It's been well cared for from prenatal onward, vaccinated, dehorned , tattooed, and hooves every month or two,

and they're fed good feed..

so you have to add the price of how well your animals are taken care of , the stuff on craigslist is , in general, poorly cared for or poorly bred stock, that isnt as healthy as what you've got. i'm not saying some stuff on craigslist ISNT good, but most isnt

18. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

Wow you guys are lucky. Im LUCKY if i get $25 for a whether.
    beth

19. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    my mini wethers go for 25- 35.. its ridiculous

20. Naw...I would have to shut the doors if that is all I got.