? about hand mating

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by keren, Dec 18, 2008.

1. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Okay so being that I have mainly boers and angoras, I really only paddock mate.

Today I handmated for the first time - I noticed Calamity was riding the other does, and I thought huh I wonder if she is in season. So I put the baby buck in the yard with her and sure enough he was chasing her all over, mounting but he couldnt actually get his equipment out.

So anyway, she was SUPPOSED to be penned with Da Vinci but he kept jumping out back into the bachelor pad.

So I put halters and leads on the two of them and I held the doe while the buck did his business (I wanted to hold the buck's lead and let the doe loose but they were in the backyard and she decided the roses were better than playing up with the buck).

Anyway, Da Vinci did his thing and she hunched up nicely then piddled all over his face. She stood well for the service. When he tried again (basically straight away), she wouldnt stand. Is that normal? I mean for a doe to want a 'recovery period' after a service. About an hour after I gave him another go, she stood nicely again, but he didnt want a second go this time so I dont know if she would have fidgeted again.
  2. lesserweevil

lesserweevil New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    well Harmony was hand mated. Because I drive them to the bucks and only stay there long enough to get the deed done, we have the 2 on leads to get the deed done - hopefully to get it done quicker :roll:

This year Demi wasnt hand mated as she stayed with the buck for a week.

But usually hand mating works out easier for me. . . :shocked: yeah I know, scareh!

3. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    I just let them go for round three.

Da Vinci was a little over enthusiastic and he thrust so hard at the end he fell off in a big heap

4. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    yah Gigi danced a bit and he had to romance her more and then she stood for him then danced around till standing once more.
  5. Amy Goatress

Amy Goatress New Member

Oct 1, 2008
    We don't hand breed, it is easier for us to pen breed and leave the doe's in with the buck's for a couple weeks.
  6. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    i tried the hand breeding thing.. but it didn't work well

but now when i catch the doe in heat i put her in a pen with the buck till her heat is over
  7. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    We hand mate all of our dairy goats, most of the goats will keep standing for several mounts, but a few(usually younger does) will stand and wiggle their tails for one mount then after that they want nothing to do with the buck. I always hold them for a second mount but they still all end up pregnant regardless :)