?? about milking a goat

Discussion in 'Dairy Diaries' started by rgbdab, Apr 23, 2009.

1. rgbdab

rgbdab New Member

Nov 26, 2007
    TEXAS
    I hope it is ok to post this question here. I raise boers so I know very little about milking, but I have a doe that kidded yesterday that has a HUGE bag and the kids are full and happy. So I thought I'd try to milk her for a while to save it for another time. So I got everything together I thought I would need and put her up on the goat stand (we usually use to trim hoofs) and secured her. Put some feed in the head bucket washed her teats and began to milk. Problem is I got a whole 2 onces and she still has a huge bag. So here are my questions.

1. Do goats have to "let their milk down" to get more than just a few ounces and if so, how do you get them to do that?

if I fugure it out ....
    2. How many days should I consider the milk to be colostrum?

any info you have would be great
    the milk will be for baby goats only

Thanks for your help, Denise

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    yes goats can withhold their milk if they think they need to save it for their kids.

Ideas on how to help her let down the milk include:
    massaging udder
    talk to her in a soothing voice
    have the kids near by with you so she believes they are actually nursing

The more you milk her the more she will feel comfortable to you.

3. ProctorHillFarm

ProctorHillFarm New Member

Yep - what Stacey said

Ill add- I consider the colostrum the best the first 24 hours. If Im saving colostrum for freezing I will save the first 48 hours of milk- but label them in the freezer by date collected.
    Usually by the third day its pretty much all milk.

4. FunnyRiverFarm

FunnyRiverFarm New Member

Sep 13, 2008
    Hudson, MI
    I've always sang to mine--they like being serenaded...LOL!

I will sing to them while I'm washing the udder with warm, soapy water and a soft cloth. It has to warm water too--mine never would tolerate baby wipes.

5. rgbdab

rgbdab New Member

Nov 26, 2007
    TEXAS
    Thanks, that makes sense because I know she isn't relaxed. She isn't even relaxed when the kids nurse yet. She is a FF and just kidded yesterday so I'll be patient. Massaging her udder I can do, but sing? That would be considered animal abuse I'm sure. LOL I am a HORRIBLE singer.
    What about "bumping" her like kids do?

Denise

6. FunnyRiverFarm

FunnyRiverFarm New Member

Sep 13, 2008
    Hudson, MI
    You can try bumping gently, that sometimes works too. Just be careful--full udders can be quite sensitive.