? about pneumonia vaccine

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by cdtrum, Dec 12, 2010.

1. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Ok....this might be a crazy question, but I am wanting to give my guys the pneumonia vaccine. Can I do this now that we are into very, very cold weather or would be better to wait now until spring......I just don't want to do anything to cause their immune systems to be hampered. I know when my son has to get his flu shot every year for the military, he will be sick and have flu like symptoms for 2 days afterwards.

2. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    When you give the pneumonia vaccine you are vaccinating against pasturella pneumonia, something they can get from other goats and going to shows. Since you don't do this with your goats I don't think it is necessary.

But if you do want to go ahead and vaccinate anyways then you can at any time. Just make sure you follow the directions on the bottle you get. Vaccinating when sick isn't good, but if they are healthy right now then you can vaccinate now. It makes no difference vaccinating in summer vs. winter. :)

3. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Thanks soooo much Ashley for the info......after 4yrs. I am still learning. I don't want to give any vac's that are not needed.

4. icboers

icboers New Member

Dec 6, 2010
    Blue Ridge,TX
    They may pick it up from shows etc. but I have had goats, specifically kids, get sick with this type of pneumonia. These kids were never exposed to anything other than whats here on the farm. we had this problem last year when it was cold and rainy and the kids spent a good part of the first 2 months in the barn.

We vaccinate now and have not had any more sick babies or adults either. And snotty noses are cleared up with a mild antibiotic rather than going for the strong stuff. After losing several kids and a full grown buck, needless to say we will always vaccinate as soon as the kids are old enough.

Karla

PS: It will make them sore for a day or two so expect some of them to be limping. some do and some dont.

5. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    pasturella pneumonia is passed from goat to goat and can lay dominant until a stressful period of time when it flairs up.

if your goat or goats were ever in a herd that could have been exposed to pasturella then they would pass it onto unsuspecting kids and other healthy goats. Some strains are more aggressive then others while some are easier to treat.

A nasal swab tested by a vet will tell you if your goats do or do not have pasturella.

Many call Pasturella pnuemoni a silent pneumonia because strains have been known to can kill without the normal signs of coughing and other signs of illness.