Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by liz, Jan 13, 2009.

1. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    OK, My sister had to make the unwanted decision to sell her horse, the ad was placed by me on DomesticSale.com and she has had a reply...the woman had a bunch of questions to which my sis answered, then she gets another email wanting to know addy and full name so she can send payment and that my sis is to take the price of the horse from it and send the rest to the " transporter"....this person is in Florida and in the email she referred to the "horse" as "puppy" quite a few times....I did tell my sis not to email her addy or name and to get a phone number to talk as opposed to typing....too many things in the email just don't seem right to me. Any one else ever deal with this type of thing? How do you know the person is for real and really wants what you are selling?
  2. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    run, get away from this deal fast cos it sounds too much like a lot of scams I have heard of

3. Amos

Amos New Member

Oct 2, 2008
    That is probably a scam, if this person was really concerned about purchasing the horse, why would she be calling it a puppy?

I was contacting someone that had an add for a macaw for sale, I contacted them back and forth a while, and then they said 'Ok, I can arrange transport to the nearest airport' When the listing was about 4 hours away. I asked why they needed to send it to an airport, then they made up some story about being 'transfered' to some place in Africa.. those things are always scams. It was fishy from the beginning..
  4. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I thot that very same thing...I mean who in their right mind would want a horse that hasn't been ridden due to inexperience AND pay to transport from PA to FL? And to keep referring to her as a puppy was the tip off.
  5. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    It's a scam. Happens all the time. Make sure she doesn't continue talking with the person. Either don't reply to the emails or send an email and let them know that she knows it's a scam and you've been reported. They won't bug you anymore. I've gotten those emails probably 5 times now and always tell them I know it's a scam and said I reported them, never got a reply. They were interested in my "doggy" when I had a llama for sale once. :roll:
  6. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    yep - its a scam!!!
  7. Just Kiddin'

Just Kiddin' New Member

Nov 18, 2008
    Southern California
    This happened to my brother one time when he put out an ad for puppies. They said they would send him a money order and have someone pick the puppy up. He was selling them for $200.00 I think it was. Well my brother isn't too bright LOL and sent them his addy for them to mail the money order to. He got a money order for $1200.00 and they told him to cash it and keep $300.00 and send them back the rest in cash. Still my brother wasn't seeing a problem with this and cashed the money order at a liquor store or something. Of course they got his DL and phone number when he cashed it and sure enough, the money orders are fake. It's a scam obviously. They send you a fake money order for way more than you're asking and try to get you to cash it and send them the "change" back in cash. I can't remember what country the scammer was from.
    Moral of my story.... RUNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN!! LOL That sounds like the exact email he got.
  8. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    The emails were reported to both Craigs list and domestic sale, such a shame that there are so many dis honest people out there that think it's easier and smarter to steal than to get a real job.
  9. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    yup I knew one was a scam right away so I played with them just for fun (not giving any personal information) and then I finally told them I knew they were a scam and it was fun playing around with them ..... didnt hear a thing back after that.
  10. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
  11. HollowbeadRanch

HollowbeadRanch New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    NW Alabama
    Yep complete scam. I have gotten TONS of those type of emails! I guess it maybe has something to do with having a website :shrug: not for sure... Anyways, I always just send them an email saying that "to discuss the sale further I will need your phone # to get in contact with you" they never respond after that. Good thing your sis didn't send her address and all :thumb:
  12. BeeLady

BeeLady New Member

I think what made the deal seem like a scam in Liz's original post was entering a third party (the "transporter") into the deal. I've bought and sold several items on Craigslist, some even several states a way, and there was never a red flag about the good intentions of the other party. When there is doubt, just walk away.
  13. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.

I had someone do that to me and they even sent me the FAKE check. Turned it over to the police. If they want the horse they need to pay the transporter them selves.
  14. karmouth

karmouth New Member

Dec 1, 2008
    ocala, FL
    I also had one of those e-mail scams . I was selling a boat and I got a e-mail saying he wanted to buy it . A $12,000.00 boat sight unseen . When I told him to call me he did and he was deaf . Had one of those talk/ type operator call. Told him when the check cleared Id call him to arrange for for pick -up . He was also sending a transporter to pick it up.
  15. fcnubian

fcnubian New Member

Oct 22, 2007
    It's a scam.

I sometimes play around with them...depends if Im in the mood. lol :)
  16. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    scam all the way...I get those all the time .....just ignore those from now on .... :hug: :help:
  17. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Yep....has been ignored after "playing" with it a bit! It certainly was a bit funny to get them "going".....and no reply after asking for references since it would be an out of state sale!

Thank you all for sharing your experiences...it's just awful how some less than desirable people will try and take advantage of others.
  18. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    So true.. :sigh: