?? about selling show wethers.

Discussion in 'Meat Market' started by Jessica84, Oct 20, 2012.

1. Jessica84

Jessica84 Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    California
    I have thought off and on about selling wethers to the 4h and ffa kids mainly just so I have sales out side of the sale barn. I bought a little doeling from a ffa kid today and we got to talking and he told me he bought the cheapest kid at the sale for $300. I asked if he made any money and he said not even close. To me that kinda breaks my heart, we incourage kids to get into ag stuff and they dont even break even. So I am very serious about trying to sell wethers for kids, basically for what I would get at the sale any ways. So I have some questions for those of you that are either in 4h or ffa or sell wethers. #1 do they have to be a certain age by the fair. I know with beef they do not, but when I did chickens they had to be under X age. #2 do they need a health cert. or tested, have vac. ect? Those are the one questions I have right now but if any one wants to throw some info at me Im sure it will save me a post later ;) And of course thank you guys!!!

2. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    These kids work super hard in getting sponsers & if they dont they dont get premium prices.
    Wethers have to be a certain weight by fair time. Our FFA bought in April & animals had to be 60#by June.
    No health certs that Im aware of.

3. Jessica84

Oct 27, 2011
    California
    Nancyd, I was in no way saying anything bad about people that charge that much.....I guess I should have worded it better, sorry :( and thank you for answering :)

Oh, I didnt intend to imply anything re: price, just kind of what you already said about not breaking even. (somehow I hit wrong button here I meant to respond not edit, arrg . Scuse me while I go get more offee)

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 21, 2012
  4. 20kidsonhill

20kidsonhill Senior Member

Feb 28, 2011
    Virginia
    The fairs in our area vary on the dates, so that makes a difference on the size of kid you can sell the child. I always ask what county and have them remind me of their minimum and maximum weights for the shows. Most kids want 85 to 95 lbs for the show. But a few beginners don't mind them smaller, around 60 lbs. One fair in our area has no lower limit. They normally can not be older than 1 year old, which would mean loosing any of their milk teeth and starting to get in their adult teet. We have kids from Jan to March for July to Sept shows. We weigh the kids at birth and again at weaning and when we sell them, to calculate daily gain and what we predict the wether or doe will weigh for the show. They can show does, so we also sell the does that have faults. We always tell the child what the reason is we are selling the doe, split-teated, folded ear, ect.....
    We do give two vaccinations to the goat and we send them home with some wormer and coccidiosis medicine so they don't have to go out and buy an entire bottle for one or two goats.

We put our kids on a creepfeed and have a creepfeed area built so they are very used to grain buy the time they are weaned and go to their new home. We band at 7 to 8 weeks of age, normally we wean at 8 to 10 weeks of age and we don't let any of them go home until they have been weaned for at least a week. We sell a little above what we will get for them at market weight, but we aren't feeding them out.
    Around here most kids are making money on their projects. Averaging $6 to $8 a lb at the sale, And I have been to some sales were they are getting $10 to $15 a lb live weight. Of course if the child purchased a project for several 100 dollars, then they wouldn't make any money. I know a few kids do spend 800 or more on their goat. But most of them are not in our area.
    if they do need a health cert. That would be the childs responsibility 30 days or less before the show. They do need to be scrappie tagged when sold.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2012
  5. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    thanks 20kids I had forgotten about scrapie tags.:eek:

6. Jessica84

Oct 27, 2011
    California
    Thank you so much!! Now here was the 'master plan' I was going to disbud all kids but leave them as buck till I have someone that would like to buy as a wether, and of course not give to them till its all heald. Is being banded later in life make like a strike to selling as a show wether? Bucks bring more money at the auction and also bucks seem to gain more weight. I have to protect my 'for sure sales'. I think I will call the fair and see if there is a age limit ect...thank you so much,

7. FFApride

FFApride New Member

Oct 7, 2012
    Arizona
    At my fair they can't over a year, or they can't have their top teeth grown in. We usually like them around 9 months. And when you sell goats, you have to have a paper saying they bought it from you, and papers saying what shots you gave them.

8. 20kidsonhill

Feb 28, 2011
    Virginia
    I do know if you wait too long to band them it is harder for them to heal, and they will get "bucky" looking. From my understanding you do not want that "bucky" look on a wether. So my guess would be there is a point were it is kind of late to be banding them. I found it somewhat hard on our 8 week old kids, but we started banding at 8 weeks instead of 3 or 4 weeks to help with urinary calculi. I would think waiting much later would require surgical castration or another method other than banding. But I don't have any experience banding later than 8 weeks of age.

9. In our area, animals have to be vet cert and cleared by the vet at the fair. Less then a year old for meat show, but they can also show them in fitting/showmanship, pack goat class and obsticle course. This is 4H. As a 4H leader thank you for offering to help these kids out!

10. Jessica84

Oct 27, 2011
    California
    I looked it up at the fair here and it said has to have a receipt and all their milk teeth, its the first of sept. so I think I am timming it just right with them due now to march, well march might be a little late but dec. is the busy month on them being due. The area here has 3 different kinds of people, farmers, farm workers, and the do gooders that move from like LA that want to be in the mtns but will call you in the middle of the night to move your cows because they are making their dogs bark. Money is not a high thing around here. I know when I did my beef steer, it came out of my cow and I only had to grain it for I think like the last 6 months and was hard for me to make money, actually if it wasnt for the little bit of extras the small buisness gave me I probably would have only done it once. Drugs and gangs are a big thing in the towns here and Im kinda soft when it comes to a kid that wants to be good, I dont know I think I just like to try and save kids lol.

11. 20kidsonhill

Feb 28, 2011
    Virginia
    We sell our later kids to a couple fairs in the area that aren't until the end of August and beginning of September. It is quite possible for an end of February/March wether to weigh 80 lbs. In Fact, I sold a runt wether(6lbs at birth) to a young beginner girl this year that was born middle of March, her show wasn't until first week of September and we figured at his average daily gain(which we had calculated to be at .45lbs per day) he would be around 75lbs for the fair. Boy we were way off, he ended up weighing in at 95 lbs. Calculating daily gain can really help, but it also really matters how much and what the kids are feeding their wethers to determin the end weight of their project.

12. Jessica84

Oct 27, 2011
    California
    Well I cant take back when they are due lol, but I have been weighing the kids before I take them to the sale since they sell by the head and I want to know how much per pound I am getting. If I remember correctly, wish I would have wrote it down, but the smallest kid I had was 60lbs at 16weeks, and the biggest I know was bigger then 80 but not by much, BUT they were left as bucks and Im sure lots of it was muscle, I didnt feed anything special, just brose during the day and sweet feed and alfalfa at night, I have a thing about full tummys at bed time lol, so with good feed, I think you are right about being big by fair time. Ill just experiment this year, heck for all I know no one will even call me lol

13. goatgirlzCA

goatgirlzCA Member

Mar 9, 2011
    Clovis, California
    Are you Northern or Southern CA? I am right in the middle - Fresno County. My daughter just sold her wether earlier this month at Fresno Fair and got $3.00 per pound (he weighed in at 110 lbs., which was the biggest one she has ever had). Previous wethers are usually 80-95 lbs. She has sold at fair from $2.50 to 4.00 a pound for the goat, which doesn't include any top off bids from people. I felt really bad for one FFA kid at our fair, who only got $1.50 per pound :(.

Some show breeders don't band their wethers until they are a little bigger than the usual 8 weeks, which is to have them build up the bulk and muscle before banding them. Which as said above, is harder on the goat.

My advice is to contact your local 4-H and FFA groups and tell them about your breeding program and available goats. My 4-H leader also sells goats to a neighboring county and they buy every year from her, so its a nice, predictable outlet for goats. They let her know ahead of time how many they think they will need and she holds that many for them, and sells the rest to other people or takes them to the sale. This route is my plan when I get my breeding stock where I want them!

14. goatgirlzCA

goatgirlzCA Member

Mar 9, 2011
    Clovis, California
    Duh! I was just on Facebook and saw your birthday triplets and then it clicked where you are! :). My neighbor (kinda). BTW, HAPPY BIRTHDAY! :cheers:

15. Jessica84

Oct 27, 2011
    California
    lol, yes it would be madera fair, which is nothing like fresno. When I was in 4h we had a girl that moved here from the fresno area and cryed at the difference in prices, she sold a turkey at fresno and got $400, and $100 over here. $1.50 a lb is way cheap, I figured out how much I get at the sale for my kids and they have always been $2.00 or a little under, I dont think I ever got $1.50, well no I take that back, I did almost give away some dairy kids at the sale in Easton. FYI if you ever sell your goats at a sale is worth the extra drive to madera ;) And thank you for the birthday wishes :).

16. myfainters

myfainters New Member

Oct 29, 2009
    Lancaster, CA
    We have recently started selling ours to 4-H and FFA kids, I offer discounts ($50 off my wether prices) and 10% off of breeding stock. I also feel it's very important to help these kids, after all they are our future farmers and ranchers!!!! ;)

17. goatgirlzCA

goatgirlzCA Member

Mar 9, 2011
    Clovis, California
    I didn't realize there was a sale yard in Madera! I just took three goats to Easton a couple of weeks ago, but I did ok because apparently it was just before the second "Ramadan" holiday for the Muslims.

Anyway, my daughter does the Fresno Fair, but ALSO the Chowchilla Fair in May. Chowchilla has an AWESOME sale there and she got $4 a lb. and it was for custom slaughter, which I like because I know where he's going and that its going to be done right :(.

Feel free to email with any questions on this. I am breeding goats for Fresno Fair right now, and am planning on selling any extras. I also have experience going to lots of the sales and getting outbid ...

18. Dani-1995

Dani-1995 Active Member

Mar 10, 2011
    Greenville, NC
    Being a 4-Her that has to pay for my own projects, I really appreciate a breeder that will give us discounts. Its nice to have someone that helps us out in something that has become so competitive. Its ashame when show parents get involved and do their kids project for them. I know kids my age (I'm 17) that don't clip their goats, feed them, excercise or train their own goats because their parents do it all. My mom feeds when I'm away from home or sick. I come up with feeding rations. I feed, water, excercise, train and groom my own goats. There is nothing wrong with helping but some parents go over board.

19. goatgirlzCA

goatgirlzCA Member

Mar 9, 2011
    Clovis, California
    I totally agree Dani! My daughter goes to jackpot shows, and its almost always the parents that are clipping and the kids are walking around talking or fluffing their hair :).

I also don't agree with the parents that go buy their kids high dollar goats so that they win! Even if I had the extra $2k to spend, I don't think you are teaching your kids about how hard work can pay off....

There are times I have helped my daughter, who is 12, pay for the goat, but she has to pitch in too. And she loves to clip and get them ready herself. I do help her with the difficult areas (armputs, heads, etc.), but she does the bulk of it and never complains.

20. Dani-1995

Dani-1995 Active Member

Mar 10, 2011
    Greenville, NC
    Is it bad that I've been teaching my 6 yr old brother how to clip a wether? I had him help with the neck and chest on mine a couple times this year since its hard to mess up on it. Next year he'll have his own wether that he'll help clip... I'm sure I'll do most of it but he's still learning.