? about shaving goat

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by cdtrum, Jun 7, 2009.

1. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    My Elwood has the thickest coat despite the fact that he loss every bit of his fur this winter due to a high fever......do any of you shave your goats in the summer just to make them cooler? He is also a black goat and a bit overweight! I noticed to today that it was high 70's and humid and he was panting. He gets no grain, just a hand full of BOSS and a bit of hay and he is still a fat boy!

2. There are many people that clip for shows as well as what you are speaking of. Just be sure to remember the sun can get to the skin at first until they get used to it so be sure to watch that.

3. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I will be clipping my 2 nigi boys here soon....Teddy still has a "juvenile" coat at 15 months old and Chief being black will be much cooler, though his coat is sparse except for the mowhawk on his back! My does coats thin out a good bit during the summer so I don't clip them...and Hank my pygmy buck just looks awful clipped so I won't do him again.

You don't have to shave to the skin, just enough to thin it out leaving a 1/4 inch on him will be alot cooler than a full coat.

4. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Thanks guys.......Liz, I knew with you having black goats that you might shave yours a bit. Elwoods coat is just soooo thick right now.....it's like he grew back his winter coat! Jakes and the little guys are nothing like Elwoods.