? about silent pneumonia

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by cdtrum, Dec 9, 2010.

1. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    We are not sure, but really think that Murphy might have died from this.....is this contagious and should I be worried about my other guys? Is silent pneumonia the same as interstitial pneumonia? I'm watching my guys close and they seem ok, but heck so did Murphy before I found him yesterday morning.

2. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Denise, I'm fairly certain that "Silent Pneumonia" is also called Pastuerella Pneumonia. I do know that there is a vaccine available for Pastuerella through Colorado Serum Co. We had a member here awile back...Trob1 that had some big problems with silent P, it's been awhile since she's posted but I think that there are some of her posts that did cover all she did for her goats.
    edited to add her topic link viewtopic.php?f=26&t=1425&start=0&hilit=pasteurella

How are you holding up? I've had you on my mind all day, sending you hugs :hug: .

3. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Thanks Liz......we are ok, just very sad as you know all to well. Mitch wouldn't like me sharing this, but we both have shed many tears today. We didn't get much accomplished today, although I did clean out the boys pen and put down lots of fresh bedding as we are suppose to have really cold temps and snow/ice the next few days. I spent some time just sitting in the pen with the boys giving hugs and grooming...I let them out of the pen while I cleaned...it was sad though, Bones started following the gator's snow tracks where Mitch had taken Murphy back to woods to bury.....I had to run and get some treats and coax himback to the barn.....I suppose he could smell Murphy. Bones and Murphy have been buddies since they were babies.....they would both be 3yrs the end of Jan.

4. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Being out with your boys did you well...and did them good too.

Amazing just how much our goats steal our hearts, the day I lost Dolly, Eric was right there with me sobbing as we buried her, even our tough guys are softies when it comes to the love of a critter :hug:

You'll be in a daze for a few days, don't rush it and please allow yourself to grieve, a broken heart takes time to mend.....Bones will need you too, he'll be confused but with extra cookies and lots of hugs, he'll be fine.

5. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I know... it is so hard.... to deal with loss .......... I am so sorry... :(

...........silent pneumonia is so traumatic..... :hug: