The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
The farm that Hope began
2,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone! I'm sure you've seen a few of my posts as I've wandered around making myself at home. I don't post on alot of forums, mostly because how dramatic and silly they can get! But I see there is none of that here, just honest to goodness goat lovers, who have been nothing but super helpful. So I think I'm here to stay!

My name is Kristina, though I commonly go by my middle name, Epona. I live with my husband in Navasota, Texas, which isn't too far from College Station, home of Texas A&M. At the moment, we're working on clearing property and getting ready to build a home.

I work with a ton of critters, but right now, mostly reptiles (Eight ball pythons, two turtles, one bearded dragon). We also have three darling pups and two cats.

The real loves of my life are my chickens, and my most recent additions, the goats! I bought them in May, they are Mini-something-or-other haha. I do believe Uno at least may be half Nigerian.

The doe is Hope, she was in milk when I got her, and was just awesome. She's been dried off now, since she is 90% likely expecting kids anywhere between August and October. I think I'll pull my hair out waiting.

And here is my new best pal, Uno. He's gone from a wild one to a total sweetheart and sucker for scratches.

And I really must share my chickens, as I love them just as much. Nothing is better than sitting outside enjoying the combined antics of chickens and goats. It's true medicine.

Anyways, I'm glad to be here!

:hug:

·
Registered
8,907 Posts
Welcome :wave: from Idaho!!

You goaties and chickens are so cute!

This IS a great place to be and I thank Stacey in my heart every day for it! I am on a horse forum that gets down right cut throat - and it is so nice to come over here and everyone is so peaceful!

Glad to have you hear and hope to see more pics!

·
Premium Member
29,236 Posts
awe thanks guys :oops: It wouldnt' be right for me to accept all the praise so my hand is extended out to my moderating staff and the other faithful members here for making this the place it is. I just enjoy it like the rest of you. The only difference is I have to pay for it hehe but it is worth every penny.

So glad you have introduced yourself and are planning on sticking around :grouphug:

Your goats are so lovely! Beautiful darlings :greengrin:

·
1,188 Posts
Welcome! :) Cute goats,and are some of your chickens silver laced wyandottes? (sp?) I think thats what mine will look like when they get bigger. :wink:

·
The farm that Hope began
2,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I did have some Silver Laced Wyandotte chicks in March, but for some reason, they all keeled over on the same day! Weird.

The chickens you see in the picture are:

In the very background, tiny little buff colored spots are my new Buff Orphington chicks.

In the back, the two brown ones standing with the white one, those are Easter Eggers, or Americanas.

The mostly black and white striped chickens are Barred Rocks.

The fluffy black and white critters that were busy grooming themselves are Black and White Polish Crested.

And finally, the big red boy is my Rhode Island Red Rooster.

:love:

·
1,188 Posts
I must've thought the Barred Rocks where what the Wyandottes where then,wonder what they will look like. lol I think those are pretty,and the Black & White polish crested.

·
The farm that Hope began
2,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hopefully this helps
:greengrin:

These are Barred Rock chicks, hatchlings and slightly older:

And this is a Silver Laced Wyandotte:

Also, thank you for the kind welcomes and compliments! I'm really starting to enjoy my caprine companions, and can't wait for little kids sometime in the next few months. I'm sure you'll get many more threads and pictures from me as the time grows closer!

:wave:

·
Premium Member
10,654 Posts
Welcome Epona, we are glad to have you here with us. Yes that adorable doe is a Nigi, She is adorable and so is Uno. What a cute name.

Welcome again form Colorado :wave:

·
The farm that Hope began
2,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You really think she's Nigi?

She's so big! Well...big compared to Uno and to pictures of Nigerians I've seen. I'll upload a picture, not a very good one, but here's my 6'1" hubby holding onto her. She's about the size of an average large breed dog (boxer, gsd, etc). Please ignore my hubby's big bare feet! :roll:

Uno's so much smaller, he definitely resembles Nigerians I've seen. He was born in January, will he grow any more? I added another picture where you can see them both. Again, ignore the mess in the pen! :oops:

The buck she would be bred too is slightly smaller than her, white, and from what I recall, looks more Nigerian.

Either way, they're in my mind, the perfect size and wonderful little goats. I'm hoping for twin does of different colors.

·
Premium Member
10,654 Posts
I would say Nigi for sure. Pygmy's are the really shot ones. She is sure a cute little thing. See some of mine are so tall that you can barely stand on both feet of you step over them. (Ok I can) but my 17 year old daughter has a hard time on some.

·
The farm that Hope began
2,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well, that's perfect! :)

Nigerians have become what I'm most interested in, the mini milkers with all the colors. I love variety in my critters, so they're just perfect.

A chicken snob once called me a "confetti-est" because of my desire to have so many different unique looking chickens. And that's just fine and dandy to me. :greengrin:

·
Registered
170 Posts
Hey Welcome! :wave:

I have 7 chickens too - they are really what inspired me to get goats (kind of like, well, the chicken experiment worked, so lets try goats!) - I went to the feed store to get 4 (to replace the 6 that were killed by a fox last year) and came home with 7...3 barred rocks, 2 red and 2 black sex links. 2 is really all we need but they are sooooo fun.

Now, I just got goats a few days ago - more fun! :leap: Yours look wonderful!

I also have a husband named Steve - small world LOL!!! :slapfloor:

·
The farm that Hope began
2,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Chickens are the best! They are so interesting and fun.

Today I had to catch one of my hens, and my rooster came running up, growling at me!

:ROFL:

I just love em all.

And hubby's with the name Steve are the best! :wink:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts