The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so my girls are down to two bottles right now...one in the morning, one before bed. They will be going down to one bottle on Monday. Which one is best to keep? Morning or night? I figure morning because they went all night without eating (IF they slept lol), so they'll be more hungry in the morning than at night when they've had browse all day. But on the other hand, if I keep the night bottle, they may have an easier time when I wean them completely...because they've already lost the morning bottle. SIGH, I just don't know which would be best to drop and which would be best to keep.

Advice please?

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
I always drop am bottle first that way the get a full belly for sleeping and they will eat more during day cause they are hungry from not getting am bottle it always works well for me

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
LOL the goat shed is maybe 25-30 feet from my bedroom window :D

They wake me up in the morning (along with Zeus, my rooster, who thinks it's ok to crow at 5 in the morning before the sun even comes up) with their "MaaaaOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMMMMM!!!!!!!!" cries...they keep it up till 8 when it's time for the bottle.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So if I drop the a.m. bottle, won't that mean I should let them out to browse first thing? Cuz I don't do that...not till around 10 when the ground isn't so wet. Butterscotch (the larger of the sisters) HATES getting her feet wet :p and their is ALWAYS dew on the grass till the sun burns some of it off. Plus, it's been really rainy lately, so the ground itself is saturated.

·
Registered
30,573 Posts
I drop the PM bottle myself...I agree after a long day of grazing...a bit of grain before bed and they are good to go...

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
I have done both really, I prefer to keep the PM bottle, but whatever you decide just make sure you give them the grain... They will get used to it... and will be good to go. My new little girl Bella won't touch the grain yet..., so even though she's 2.5 months, I started her back on a bottle... just 1 at night, she eats hay and browse fine....

Do you have any updates pictures of the girls....:) Good job with them... They've come along way with your excellent care:(

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
I have done both really, I prefer to keep the PM bottle, but whatever you decide just make sure you give them the grain... They will get used to it... and will be good to go. My new little girl Bella won't touch the grain yet..., so even though she's 2.5 months, I started her back on a bottle... just 1 at night, she eats hay and browse fine....

Do you have any updates pictures of the girls....:) Good job with them... They've come along way with your excellent care:(
That :( was supposed to be a :)

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Sure do! Just took pics yesterday :) And thanks, I've done the best I can with them!

Don't know if you said or not, but how old are they? I've heard to wean no sooner than three months. :shrug:
They will be 14 weeks tomorrow.

Attachments

·
558 Posts
For me, I kept the evening bottle and then gave them grain in the morning in place of that bottle.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts