? about Triplets

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by rlittlecritters, May 29, 2008.

1. rlittlecritters

rlittlecritters New Member

Apr 26, 2008
    Lynden, Washington
    I have week old pygmy triplets. They are all happy and running around, but I weigh them everyday to see how much weight they are gaining.
    Two of my triplets and one single baby have all gained 21-25 ounces in the last week. One of the triplets has only gained 15 oz.
    That's almost half a pound difference in a week. Should I be worried?

I have seen mom (Symphony) nurse all three of them, but I only saw her nurse the bigger two today.
    The udder on the single mom (Tori) is actually larger than Symphony's udder, so I was wondering if it would be worth my while to force Tori to feed the little one once or twice a day?
    Or would it be better to make Symphony? (I did today with Tori and that is the longest I have ever seen a baby eat without stopping.)
    Or should I not be worried yet?

Any thoughts?

2. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    If the smaller of the 3 seems to be off and not as energetic as the other 2 then yes I would have the other doe feed her, but keep in mind that when she gets her fill from the other she won't be nursing as much as she did with her own mom, therefore decreasing moms production. If its just a few ounce difference in weight gain..6-10 ounces for the smaller one really isn't that bad...if she hadn't gained any then I would really worry.

3. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    if the smaller one is still gaining and acting normal don't expect it to gain as much as the others just the % of gain should be aprox the same.

4. rlittlecritters

Apr 26, 2008
    Lynden, Washington
    Originally she was the same size as her sister, both were 2lb 12 oz.....now a week later the sister is 6 oz heavier than she is. Sister is 4 lbs 1 oz and she is still at 3 lb 11 oz. (Brother is and was always bigger.)

But it is true that she is gaining at least....I'll keep watching her and make sure she keeps gaining. I just don't want to wait until it is too late.

5. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    If she acts at all hungry then hold mom and let her nurse - or even do it now. Feel her belly - does it feel as full as her sisters?

6. rlittlecritters

Apr 26, 2008
    Lynden, Washington
    Yesterday she seemed hungry, but today she seemed fine. I'll just keep an eye on her. Thanks. :)

7. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    take it on a day to day basis. I wouldn't pull her as she is probably very attached and still getting enough. But holding mom so she can nurse will greatly aid her