? about tubing fluids

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by cdtrum, Dec 10, 2010.

1. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Since loosing Murphy yesterday, I have been in contact with Suzanne Gasparotto.....as my daughter turned me onto some info on her site. I have learned from her that I should of tubed Murphy with fluids, that he most likely was dehydrated and syringing him with small amounts was not enough and it didn't really matter what things I tried or how many meds I was shoving down him if he was dehydrated.......I feel that I failed Murphy due to my ignorance and my vet failed me and Murphy.....you would think that a vet would have thought of this, instead he gave Murph a enema and pushed what fluids he had out.....at this point all I can do is try to learn from this horrible loss so it doesn't happen again........so my question is......what kind and where do I get a tubing kit?

Oh, and also in the spring when I had my vet out to give Vac's he gave me what I thought was a pneumonia vac for the boys, instead of an injection it was sprayed up the nose.....I have learned that this was not a vac and it was a short term protection....so I now need to get the right vac for my boys.

I so wish there were more vets that knew something about goats :hair: !

2. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Tubing fluids isn't hard. I got the tube from jeffers, it's a bit long... but oh well. I keep it long in case I need to use it on my mini horse.

Here is a great link on how to tube:
    http://www.tennesseemeatgoats.com/artic ... htube.html

The first time is always scary. And it really sucks when they try to spit cud up when your doing it because the water you are putting in gets spit back at you.

3. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Thank Ashley.....I had my Jeffer's catalog, but wasn't quite sure what I was looking for. As far as one spitting on me, I wouldn't care at all if it meant saving one.......I never ever want to see one die the way Murphy did.....it was the worst. My husband and I just can't get it out of our minds......it will haunt us for quite a while.

4. FunnyRiverFarm

FunnyRiverFarm New Member

Sep 13, 2008
    Hudson, MI
    The website runaround posted is good.

You DID NOT fail Murphy...you went above and beyond what even most vets would have done and did your best to make sure that he was as comfortable as possible...so please don't beat yourself up over the very SMALL chance that tubing may have helped him.

5. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Thank you FRF....I went today and bought all the stuff needed for tubing, an very cheap thing to add to my medical kit should I ever need it......I know I can't keep beating myself up, but I so wish I could go back and do things differently.

6. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I know how you feel....we always say... what if...and I shoulda done something more....but ....I have to say........ you already....did alot ....and so much more for that goat... please don't think....... you didn't do enough...we all learn and sometimes ...it is a hard lesson....... but..... we have more knowledge...... if it ever happens again........ and you ....will be better.. prepared..... :hug: