?? About Turner - pics added

Discussion in 'Mini Mania' started by kelebek, Dec 5, 2008.

1. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Turner was born 29 July 2008 - so he is just 5 months old. I knew that he was a little on the "stunted" side - as he is just tiny. But today I went to his twin sister and 1/2 brothers house and I swear they are close to twice his size.

Turner's eye lids are pink, formed goat berries. Has energy, no huge belly - except a hay belly after eating.

My question is - what the HECK could be wrong with him??

He is vaccinated, was herbal wormed, bottle raised in the house for 5 weeks them put out in the big pasture with about 15-18 other goaties (where he always wandered away from them looking for a way out to get to the house).

Could it be that he isn't getting enough feed? He is a really laid back boy. Doesn't seem skinny - just "stunted".

Just thought that I would ask.

2. goatnutty

goatnutty Active Member

Oct 9, 2007
    South East,IN
    Re: ?? About Turner

I have the same problem wit htwo of my yealing Boer's. They won't grow!They are perfectly healthy so I 'm at a loss for ideas. :hair:

3. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca

his bones could be to refined/dainty.. i had that problem with some of my littler kids.. too fine boned and they never grow right

4. goatnutty

goatnutty Active Member

Oct 9, 2007
    South East,IN

SDK- was that in your Boer's or Nigi's?

5. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas

His mom was pretty tiny - his dad a larger size nigerian.

Do you think it is worth keeping him intact to see if he "snaps out of it" or should I go ahead and wether him and find him a pet home? I really like him and his mother is no longer with me - would have liked him as a possible buck next year - but dang. I have doelings that are 3 and 5 months older then him that tower him!

6. goatnutty

goatnutty Active Member

Oct 9, 2007
    South East,IN

I would give him a little more time to see if he grows. Are his lines slow growers or not?

7. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California

most bottle fed babies are smaller in size...than one fed by mom....

The stand back goats ...you have to be sure they get their feed one way or another...maybe pen them away from the others... at feeding time....
    they always wait...until everyone is done before they walk to the feed to find all the good stuff is gone...

slow growing can be that they may of had coccidiosis as a baby- It does serious damage (scarring) to the lining of the intestines.... nutrition from her food does not absorb into the system, the food the goat eats.... is not being utilized properly and if this is the case- nothing can be done about it.

Have you dewormed lately ?

so it could be:

being bottle fed

being pushed off feed ...not getting enough

cocci related

wormy

If you really like him.........
    just because he is smaller ......doesn't mean... he can't produce well...he still has his genetics and bloodlines ..... :)

8. Candy

Candy New Member

Give him time to grow! That's what I'm doing with Adam. In the spring we'll both know how they will be. What the heck, what's 1 more mouth to feed? :shrug:
    Candy :sun:

9. Sonrise Farm

Sonrise Farm New Member

Sep 18, 2008
    Southwick, Idaho

My cousin's nubian babies stayed the size of a mini. . . . no joke! for two years so :shrug:

10. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas

I just went out and measured him - he is 12 inches tall - so I guess really he is not terribly short for 5 months - but would like to see him grow another 6 inches.

When he was bottle raised - he was given fresh raw goats milk from my milker mom.

I will give him some time. I took him out of the regular herd and put him in the oversized stall with my newly wethered boer buck (who will be leaving in 6-8 weeks for freezer camp) and my VERY layed back Nubian buck that still thinks he is Turner's size. I will pull a fecal this weekend and send in for analysis - just to double check.

I don't think it was cocci - as no others have come down with loosing weight or loose stool, and the babies that left went to a lady that is a vet tech and she ran fecals and never found cocci...... :shrug:

11. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca

the nigerians.. if you breed too much dairy to dairy.. you get some kids whos bones are too fine to grow big..

do you have a newer picture of turner? the last one i saw of him was as a little baby

12. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California

Allison ...... :)
    Just throwing out some reasons ...and ideas to you and goatnutty.. you .were both wondering together...anywayz... :) After reading your response...I think it could be from being kicked off his food...and he is one of those stand back ones....I have had a few .....and you really have to pay special attention to them and make sure they eat...you are doing the right thing by moving him.... in with fewer goats..when you feed... keep an eye on him ...to make sure ...he is going to eat with the 2 ...or again be kicked off and stand back...if that is the case ....make sure he eats....... even if you have to guard him from the other two..... he may surprise ya .......when he starts getting the feed ....and may really take off...I don't mean flying...LOL :ROFL: ...
    How long has it been since deworming him...?

It is A good idea anyway ....to do a fecal on him.....just in case he may or may not have worms or cocci....at least you will know ...if he does ..or doesn't ...it will be peace of mind... and you will know for sure.... if by any odd chance.. he does have... any of those... you treat him ....and he should grow better..for ya.....he is still quite young.... :hug: :)

13. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas

Yah, he spent a few weeks in with the Nubian buck when he was in quarentene when he first got here - so I know that he will be fine - and lil man, well, after his "brain surgery" here the other day, he is ALOT tamer - LOL! He is still walking on his back tip toes though - I find it quite funny myself.

14. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California

he thinks.... he is a Ballerina...LOL :ROFL:

sounds good Allison...good luck... :thumbup:

15. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas

Ok here are some pics that I took about 30 minutes ago. I tried to give him a bottle to have him stretch out so you could really look at him - but then I couldn't take the pic - LOL! DUH!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. goatnutty

goatnutty Active Member

Oct 9, 2007
    South East,IN
    He's definately a little fella...but I would still give him time to grow...I don't raise Nigi's but hen we had baby pygmies they were bigger than that at his age.

17. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    See - I wasn't joking that he is not growing!

18. goatnutty

goatnutty Active Member

Oct 9, 2007
    South East,IN
    I never doubtet but it's hard to imagine one that small...the Boer's don't stay that way long!

19. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    Oh, he is very little. He never had cocci as a baby, that you know of? That is the number one reason, that comes to my mind, when a baby is not growing as well. But, then again, maybe he is just from those slow-developing lines. :shrug: Do you know how much he weighs?

20. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    He is possibly from slow growing lines, at just 5 months he is still a baby...give him some time, Allison, Chief was a wreck when I got him...at 10 weeks he looked spindly and alot like an alien! Chief has been slow to grow out too..he'll be 2 in March and his son allready is about the same size at 10 months. Not every goat is the same, and I know it's hard to not worry about him, but he's fine and he will grow. :wink:

BTW...After seeing my Binky's dam.. Brush Creek Journey...I now know why Chief is a "slow grower"...his grand dam is TINY!(Chief is out of a doe of hers)