?? About Turner - pics added

Discussion in 'Mini Mania' started by kelebek, Dec 5, 2008.

1. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    No cocci that I know of. I am sending in another fecal next week though just to double check. I have corrid here that I can treat with if need be.

As for Ivomec - is he still to young to dose with that?

I know that it is safe for pregger does - correct me if I am wrong - but should I wait till they are about 30 days after breeding before giving it to them?

Thanks

2. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    I do believe Ivomec is okay for younger goats. But I prefer Valbazen as it is broad-spectrum for young ones.

What I've heard is to wait on deworming until about 30 days after breeding. It's probably not a bad idea at all, just to be on the safe side.

3. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    No problem - that is why I was curious.

So can you help me between the differences of Ivomec Plus and Valbezen. Can you line out which ones treat what so that I can see what I need to be giving.

Thanks

4. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    to me he looks to dainty..

5. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    hes a stubby little thing aint he. I never really saw him play much his whole life - he loves to curl up with my yearling girls. That is their lil buddy.

6. Crissa

Crissa New Member

Oct 7, 2007
    Cashion, Oklahoma
    He does look tiny. :scratch: He sure is a cutie though. :wink: I bet he hits a growth spurt soon though. Same thing happened with Lyric and now her half brother Chase. I think it's in the lines.

7. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    his bones look little.. his knees are knobby like mine were.

i attached a picture of midge(she was one!) when she was 8 months. i think when i sold her at a year and a half she was 14 inches tall

8. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Oh few!! That makes me feel so much better.

Did she ever have cocci?

I just thought maybe my goat was a freak or something.

9. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    nope she never had cocci.. was never nutrient deprived, never anything wrong at all.. mom and brother were totally normal.. her bones were just too refined and she never grew right

found a picture of a goat my friend has who is too refined as well

genny was born in 2006 , this was her at 11 months in 2007

10. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    So if that is what it is - then he should ultimately be a wether as you don't want to breed with him - or am I just way off?

11. Candy

Candy Guest

May 14, 2008
    Oh heck, just put a diaper and a onesie on him and bring him in the house for a week. I promise that you will worry less and be more than ready for him to go back outside. :ROFL: :ROFL: I'm happy to go out and feed him apart from the others. He now is is a pen of his very own and doing well. Of course, he screamed his head off when he realized he wasn't comong back in the house with me :worried: I'm sich a mean goat mommy :shrug: LOL
    Candy :sun:

12. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    if he's turns out to be too refined instead of just stunted i would wether him.. unless you have some very bulky does you would want to breed him too. but if bred to a "dairy" type doe your chances of getting tiny kids is high

i say give him till hes 9 or 10 months.. if he's still like 13 inches or so... then i'd say hes too fine bones

13. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Okey Dokey!

Thanks

14. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    I don't have a bottle of Ivomec+ in front of me but I do have a bottle of Valbazen. It removes Liver Flukes, Tapeworms, Stomach Worms, Intestinal Worms, Lungworms. Maybe there isn't that much of a difference between them?? :shrug: I just have always had success with this brand of dewormer.

15. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    It says on the box that it is for treatment and control of gastrointestinal round worms, lungworms, adult liver flukes, grubs, sucking lice,and mange mites.

On the bottle itself it says - for the treatment and control of internal parasites, including adult liver flukes, and ecternal parasites

16. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    So they are both broad-spectrum but Valbazen will cover the tapeworms and Ivomec will not and Ivomec will remove the external, Valbazen will not.

Hmmm. I remember someone saying that if you give Ivomec orally, it will not take care of the external bugs?? But when our pygmy wether had what looked like mange on his front legs last year (not sure if it even was mange) I gave him Ivomec orally and it went away within the week. :shrug:

17. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    I don't know with goats - but my old sheltie had demodex mange that when she would get stressed it would flare up. Anyway, I gave it to her orally!

I inject the ivomec to all my goaties. It seems to cover more things, and they don't mind it because they are eating molassas grain when I do it - LOL!

18. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Oh, where do you get it and how often do you give it.

I hate to start them on a worming regiment - but with all the mud and crap up here - I think I am going to have to.

19. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    I got it from Jeffers Livestock Supply. I have heard so many different dosages but I like to go by 1cc per 25 lbs. as recommended by Onion Creek Farm. I also know of people who dose it at 1cc per 10 lbs. and also 1cc per 33 lbs. But 25 works for us.

20. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    INDICATIONS
    IVOMEC Plus Injection is indicated for the effective treatment and control of the following parasites of cattle: Gastrointestinal Roundworms (adults and fourth-stage larvae): Ostertagia ostertagi (including inhibited O. ostertagi), O. lyrata, Haemonchus placei, Trichostrongylus axei, T. colubriformis, Cooperia oncophora, C. punctata, C. pectinata, Bunostomum phlebotomum, Nematodirus helvetianus (adults only), N. spathiger (adults only) and Oesophagostomum radiatum. Lungworms (adults and fourth-stage larvae): Dictyocaulus viviparus. Liver Flukes: Fasciola hepatica (adults only). Cattle Grubs (parasitic stages): Hypoderma bovis and H. lineatum. Sucking Lice: Linognathus vituli, Haematopinus eurysternus and Solenopotes capillatus. Mange Mites (cattle scab*): Psoroptes ovis (syn. P. communis var. bovis) and Sarcoptes scabiei var. bovis.

http://www.atozvetsupply.com/Ivomec-Plu ... -meipl.htm

Valbezen
    Broad-spectrum Cattle Dewormer Paste

For Oral Use in Cattle

Controls: Stomach Worms including 4th stage inhibited larvae of Ostertagia ostertagi
    Intestinal Worms, Lungworms, Tapeworms, Mature Liver Fluke.

http://www.drugs.com/vet/valbazen-cattl ... paste.html

I do not think it is safe to use "IVOMEC Plus" on preggo goats

Ivomac cattle injectable (not the plus..I have.. not tried that ?).....and valbezen....I have given them to 1 month old boer kids....down there throat...(do not inject).... :) "One at a time of course"