The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Found this abscess or growth on my mini Nubian wether today. Any ideas on what it could be and how I could treat it? I have no idea how long it’s been there. Just noticed it today on his back leg when giving him a summer buzz. It doesn’t seem to bother him at all. He didn’t act in pain when I was touching near the area and is acting completely normal.

·
Registered
775 Posts
Is it hard or fluid filled? Here is a picture with common abscess locations for CL. If you suspect it is CL, and this is your first time dealing with it, I'd call a vet and have them advise you. Have them test the pus as this will verify if this is CL. Most of the time, it can be lanced, and the animal kept in quarantine away from the herd while the wound heals. A CL abscess will get larger until it ruptures on it's own. The pus is what contaminates the area and infects other animals.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Is it hard or fluid filled? Here is a picture with common abscess locations for CL. If you suspect it is CL, and this is your first time dealing with it, I'd call a vet and have them advise you. Have them test the pus as this will verify if this is CL. Most of the time, it can be lanced, and the animal kept in quarantine away from the herd while the wound heals. A CL abscess will get larger until it ruptures on it's own. The pus is what contaminates the area and infects other animals.

View attachment 209681
It feels soft and fluid fillled. It is kinda in one of those marked areas in the leg...
He also had a cd&t booster in that leg 2 weeks ago...I can’t quite remember if it was that area exactly but kinda think maybe it was.
Does anyone think it looks like an abscess that could have formed from that vaccination? Or is it more CL looking?

·
Super Moderator
83,799 Posts
Might be.
vaccination abscesses, get a bump, some are big some are small, which is hard at first then may loose some hair soften and pop.

If you have given a shot there,it definitely could be it.
I don’t recommend giving any shots in the back leg. There is a nerve back ther when hit can temporarily or permanently paralyze their back leg.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Might be.
vaccination abscesses, get a bump, some are big some are small, which is hard at first then may loose some hair soften and pop.

If you have given a shot there,it definitely could be it.
I don’t recommend giving any shots in the back leg. There is a nerve back ther when hit can temporarily or permanently paralyze their back leg.
Ok. Thank you! I hope it’s just from the vaccination. Will I be able to tell what kind of an abscess it is from the kind of fluid that comes out of it? I’ve heard CL puss is like toothpaste. This feels more watery. Nothing is oosing out though.
Yes it was my first time giving shots and the lady who helped me always does it in the leg but I’ve decided that any future shots I give will be in the shoulder region as recommended.

·
Registered
775 Posts
Typically, if you lance it and the pus doesn't have a smell, it's CL. A foul smelling pus is usually some other type of abscess. Also, the pus from CL kinda has the texture of cottage cheese. However, testing the pus is the best way to find out if it's CL.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Typically, if you lance it and the pus doesn't have a smell, it's CL. A foul smelling pus is usually some other type of abscess. Also, the pus from CL kinda has the texture of cottage cheese. However, testing the pus is the best way to find out if it's CL.
Ok. Thank you! I talked with the lady who helped me give injections and she was certain it was from his shot. Also called the vet to see if I should bring him in and he said not too worry about it, and it’s probably just the vaccination. My mind is mostly at ease. Been watching it closely. Not any bigger but not changed much other than being a bit less red.
Thank you for all the help!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts