The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Two days ago I noticed a scab and some missing hair on my bucklings back. I figure it is from either his vaccine he got about a week ago or a bee sting he got a few days ago. Yesterday the scab was almost healed (i applied polysporin) but a fairly large lump or abscess is there. Today the lump is even larger and there appears to be another one forming right behind it. Any ideas as to what. This is and how I can treat it?

·
Super Moderator
58,910 Posts
Until the abscess ruptures or is ready to rupture, there isn't much to do. You could lance it and then save some pus and have it tested for CL. Maybe this is from both the vaccine and a bee sting and they were close so that is why 2 of them.

·
14,615 Posts
Are you the one who gave his vac? If you know exactly where it was that could be it, especially if you happened to not get between the layers of skin (been there) they can develop a nasty lump.
Can you post a pic?

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
If it's where he got stung by the bee it could be an abscess his body has formed to protect him from an imbedded stinger. If you know where he was stung and that's the spot, when the abscess is ripe and you're ready to lance it and clean it out, you'll need to make sure to get the foreign object (stinger?) out that caused the abscess or it will just form again.

Of course, if you've never lanced and cleaned an abscess before, it might be handy to have a vet help you with that and show you how it's done.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sorry for the delay in replying everyone. Your feedback was helpful and I took the advice and had my vet take care of anything. Now we have a new problem with this poor little guy. He has a suspected thiamin deficiency. The vet have him a shot tonight but even he was not sure what the proper dosage is (he used a sheep dose). Can anybody tell me the proper dosage so that I know for next time

·
Registered
30,622 Posts
Im so sorry ...

100 Mg Thiamine is 1 cc per 25# 500 MG thiamine is 1 cc per 100#...thiamine deficiency causes goat polio...treatment needs to be done every 6 hours for 24 hours AFTER all symptoms have past. if sypmtoms are not satified with Thiamine then Liseriosis needs to be considered since both Polio and Listeriosis have the same symptoms...
http://www.tennesseemeatgoats.com/articles2/listeriosis.html

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you! I have been continuing with the thiamin and he seems to be much better. Not totally symptom free so I will keep dosing. I plan on having him checked over by a vet in the morning when my clinic is open as well.

·
Registered
30,622 Posts
great..you are on top of it : ) good job!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts