The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
14,726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well on top of the 2 sick goats we're treating....

Thurs of last week my son's market wether somehow got a chain stuck on the inside of his mouth - right on the side, caught like a fish. It was lodged in the skin, but didn't break the skin on the outside.

It swelled up just around that area. It's been getting hard over the past few days, and tonight when I felt it, it felt really hard. I'm guessing it's abscessed and is wanting to rupture?

Anything I should try to do? Or just wait and clean it if it does rupture?
he's acting just fine, not sick, eating fine, but it hurts when you touch it.
I can get a pic of it in the morning.

I know with horses we used ichthammol to help bring abscesses to a head, maybe I should put some of that on the outside?

Never had a goat with an injury like this before, so I'm not real sure what the next step should be.

·
Registered
29,989 Posts
I would give a tetanus antitoxin shot for that.... get a good look at it and see what you can find...is it infected, is it open? a pic would be good but for tonight Tet. antitoxin some banamine if you have it if not baby aspirin for discomfort..

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
I have one that abscessed last week but on his neck due to a splinter. I did warm.compresses three times a day until it burst. It was very swollen, fluids around.and hot to the touch so I put him on pen g. It burst on second day of compresses and we flushed with iodine and he's fine now.

I'd give him something for swelling and see what it does. After a few hours you should know what is abscess/infection and what was actually swelling. Is it possible he has blood blister? I think you said it cut the inside? He could have gotten a piece of cud in it and that's why its abscessing... if that's the case then he needs antibiotics and compresses for sure.

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
I gave mine that weighs 70lbs 2 adult aspirins.

·
14,726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks you two are so awesome :)

Okay, the swelling started right after it happened. It never went away. It's about the size of 1 1/2 marbles, maybe 2 if you put them together. It's localized, so the injury is the only part that's swollen. Sorry I'm not great at explaining this.
it feels pretty hard. I don't have a way to get a good look inside of it tonight, but tomorrow morning I can have my kids help me hold him so I can get a good look on the inside of it.

We'll start doing the warm compresses too. Would warm compresses with Epsom salt help? I know when my son had an infection in his leg from a splinter that was deep inside <like Dani's wether> the warm compresses and Epsom salt helped draw it out.

I was going to ask earlier today, and then the whole issue with the other 2 goats just kind of took over.

Isn't it funny how things go right, then suddenly all chaos breaks loose?

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
I did use Epsom salt too. I think it helps. You'll know if its going to bust... its gets a certain shape and pronounced look.

·
Registered
507 Posts
It will start getting soft before it ruptures. When our wether did the same thing with a bungie cord, I just waited until it burst on its own. Didnt take long. Then we cleaned it out with iodine and it healed up.

·
14,726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks! Okay I checked it last night, and it's definitely starting to look like it will try to rupture soon, maybe not today, but in a couple of days. I did push on it a little and it's slightly soft in the middle. We'll start doing warm compresses in a few minutes when we go out to feed and medicate the sick goats.

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
I'd also start him on penicillin... 1cc per 25lbs once a day for five days. It will help push the infection out quicker than just using compresses plus, when it does bust you don't have to worry about secondary infection from the opening.

·
14,726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok I was wrong, it was ready to open up today. We put warm water/Epsom salt compresses on it for a little while, then I gently pushed on it and it squirted yellow goo...on my arm lol
My daughter was holding him and was like ewww gross and I am like oh it's okay, it'll wash off LOL

Anyway, it was full of yellow puss, I gently squeezed it all out using the towel and warm water from the compress. Then tried to get iodine down in it.
We gave him PenG before we even started.

We'll check it and clean it again with Iodine again this afternoon. I am sure it must feel a lot better with all that pressure released.

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
That's good! I'd do warm compresses a couple more times to ensure its all out.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts