Abscess

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by goats 'n garden rabbits, Nov 20, 2020.

1. goats 'n garden rabbits

goats 'n garden rabbits New Member

Nov 19, 2020
    New Hampshire
    Hello,

I have a goat that should be delivering within a week. She has an abscess. I've isolated her (she LOVES it) and I am treating her with an herbal parasite formula, which seems to have caused it to rupture and drain. It is smaller in size now. would that be a good indication of parasite infection?

I tried lancing it earlier and it just swelled back up overnight. Now she is a little hand shy, which I am hoping to overcome in case she needs help with her kidding.

Any thoughts?

2. goats 'n garden rabbits

Nov 19, 2020
    New Hampshire
    I have a goat that was due to deliver and I found her the other morning looking like she had afterbirth all over her tail and there were no babies anywhere. She never acted like she was in distress and is still acting normal.

Any thoughts?

3. Moers kiko boars

Moers kiko boars Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2018
    Oklahoma
    On the abcess..did you fill the empty.pocket with provodine- iodine? To help kill more bacteria and to dry up the area?
    On the doe with the afrerbirth? Did you look under things? She will hide.the little ones. Be sure and keep looking.

4. happybleats

happybleats Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    I can say with certainty that the herbal parasite formula did not cause the abscess to burst. Once an abscess is full and turns soft it will burst on its own. Im concerned this abscess maybe CL. What color was the pus that came out? Where was the abscess located?

On the other..what do you mean..afterbirthnon her tail? Hows her udder look? Does her tummy (right side) still look large? A messy tail can be a few things..miscarriage, delivery, or maybe early stages of labor? You said its been a few days?

5. goats 'n garden rabbits

Nov 19, 2020
    New Hampshire
    The pus was white and thin, not thick. Quite stinky, too.

The one with the miscarriage had blood on her tail all around and down her legs. I thought she had given birth but could find no kids anywhere. She never developed an udder, but she had been bred. She was getting big, but then all of the sudden she looked smaller, her back end was messy and no babies.

Moers kiko boars likes this.
  6. goats 'n garden rabbits

Nov 19, 2020
    New Hampshire
    OK, I will keep looking but I did a pretty thorough search with help and came up with nothing.

I did not do iodine because I didn't know about it yet. Should it be lanced again if it is still there, even though it is smaller?

7. Moers kiko boars

Moers kiko boars Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2018
    Oklahoma
    No..dont lance it again. But put iodine on it. Just to help keep it from getting infected.

MadHouse likes this.
  8. happybleats

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    Where was the abcess? CL isn't Watery and stinky usually so that is good. Is there a scab? If the abscess didn't clean out fully it may come back. If there is a scab you could soak and reopen and flush it with a weak iodine solution a few times can help clean out well and dry up. If not...leave it be and see what it does.

Does sound like your other doe miscarried. Im sorry.

9. Zippy Two Dogs

Zippy Two Dogs Member

May 4, 2020
    Georgia
    Our doe had a ‘cloudburst pregnancy’ this spring. Had a football tummy for a few months, then all of a sudden she released an absolute TON of white discharge over the course of a day. Consistency like egg yolks, no babies. This could be a possibility for you?

There was no bad smell with her cloudburst, though. I remember someone suggesting if there was a bad smell she might have an infection, and to keep a close eye (nose?) on it.

Moers kiko boars and MadHouse like this.
  10. goats 'n garden rabbits

Nov 19, 2020
    New Hampshire

MadHouse and Moers kiko boars like this.
  11. goats 'n garden rabbits

Nov 19, 2020
    New Hampshire
    Thank you for the encouragement. I've only had them for about 8 months, so this is all very new. The abscess is on her jaw. I can't get a look inside, but it keeps sounding like she has a stick or something inside that she's chewing on. I tried looking in, but couldn't see anything. The abscess popped again last night, so I was going to soak it again with iodine like you suggested. Now she has the runs from the parasite stuff I was giving her...sigh...lots of learning going on here. She's due next week.

12. goats 'n garden rabbits

Nov 19, 2020
    New Hampshire
    Registered.

13. happybleats

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    Best thing to do is treat the abscess as CL and take extra precautions. I would get a sample of the pus and have it tested for CL for peace of mind. There is a good thread on here."CL Discussion" that may answer questions. Basically you don't want the abscess pus to get on the ground. Since she is penned up..that area should not be used for other goats. Clean all dishes and such with diluted bleach daily.
    For the cyst..wearing gloves, dilute iodine to a weak tea look with saline. Use a syringe...no needle..draw the iodine up..and flush the cyst. Use wads of paper towels to catch over flow. Put used paper towel in a zip lock baggie to burn or toss. Do this 2 times a day until the cyst is drying up and walls are thin. Hopefully you get it cleared up before she kids. When kidding is upon her..I would move her to a clean pen if her cyst is healed enough OR cover the current pen with a tarp then bedding so baby is not exposed.

14. NigerianDwarfOwner707

NigerianDwarfOwner707 Well-Known Member

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    I would grab pus if there is any coming out fo the abscess still, and have it tested for CL.

15. happybleats

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    Google CL locations in goats and see if her abcess is in one of those places. Being on the jaw maybe a tooth abcess and if so that is not contagious. The sound of chewing on a stick maybe her grinding her teeth which can indicate pain. Grab her temp (101.5-103.5 is normal range)
    How often is she getting herbal parasite formula?

16. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Very good advice here.

Remove scab Keep it open so it can drain.
    Try to get any yuck out of there.
    Squeeze it in all directions, rub your fingers in different directions on the abscess area, pushing down on it to try to get any yuck out. Do this every time before flushing.
    Flush with tea color iodine and water solution.
    Do it 2 x a day for a few days then 1 x a day for up to around 5 days.
    That should be enough to get all yuck out and allow it to finally heal up thereafter.
    She isn’t going to like it, but it needs to be done.

17. MadHouse

MadHouse Well-Known Member

If you have already used iodine on it, apparently a test won’t show if it’s CL. That’s from my vet.

18. I would be cautious about parasite meds - check with a fecal test before treatments. I personally feel that too much is given that isn't needed. I learned from fiascofarm how to do fecals myself some years ago and since then have found I do not need to do it very often. I worked with my vet on my learning curve - would have him run a fecal on a few after my results to see if I was doing it right. I also don't have faith in the herbals being sold. I tried them and found it expensive and more work to give and often did little to help.
    Quite a few years back I bought a ram lamb from a farm who only used herbals and the stress of the move it had bottle jaw a few days after I got him and we couldn't help him as he had such a worm load. My vet said he had seen that happen before.
    I also try to keep up on their copper needs and that seems to also decrease worms.

19. happybleats

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    I will respectfully disagree. Herbs are what saved my herd when chem workers stopped working. About 5 years later we are still going strong. My herd is healthier than ever. They do take work and often when folks find they are not working is because they are not using them properly or the herbs they are using are not quality. Like with essential oils..quality does matter.

20. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Sometimes herbs might help, however, it may not in many cases, when the goat is really bad off, as herbs work slower than regular meds.
    So use your best judgment when using herbs.