abscesses (posting for a freind)

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by sixshooterfarm, Oct 20, 2007.

1. sixshooterfarm

sixshooterfarm New Member

Oct 18, 2007
    Valley Springs, Ca
    A local pygmy breeder of mine has a nice herd of about 20 goats, all are very healthy and happy. Well one of her bucks came down with abscesses, several of them, all along his cheek and curve of the neck probably about 4 of them, on is right next to his ear and it is about the size of a golf ball, I have helped her lance 2 of them that where ready and the smell was pewtred, I just about threw up it stunk sooooooooooo bad, one of her does also has a couple along the jaw but they are smaller but still stink, the crap inside is runny and yellow-whiteish and stinks. I just thought it was funny how two of them have it but, all the rest of her goats dont? One thing I did notice is she has wood post for her fencing and the goats LOVE to rub in the wood fences and they splinter very easily, could those wood post be causing this? The goats have been tested for CL and they were negative but she said that was years ago. What do you guys think?

2. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    If I remember right, pus from a CL abscess has no smell, whatsoever and is 'cheesy' like in substance. Did she ever test the pus?
    It is more than likely rubbing on the post I'd say.

3. sixshooterfarm

Oct 18, 2007
    Valley Springs, Ca
    No, she dosent have any money to test, she does alot of things on her own. It dident strike me as CL either, especially with how many there are. That was just weird, and it was all along the jaw line and by the ear, makes me nervous tho! Abscesses scare me!

4. getchagoat (Julie)

getchagoat (Julie) Guest

Oct 5, 2007
    Sounds like splinters. I've never heard of CL smelling.

5. sixshooterfarm

Oct 18, 2007
    Valley Springs, Ca
    Wow really huh, god these things almost made me throw up lol, I can handle smells and stinky stuff but seriously those things were bad! thank you for your help!

6. fritzie

fritzie New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    TENN
    i would say splinters to. cl dosen't smell & it is real thick like cottage cheese & a greenish white in color. i would just keep them open & flush them with peroxide & iodine 2 to 3 timews a day.

7. sixshooterfarm

Oct 18, 2007
    Valley Springs, Ca
    Do you think they still need to be quarentined, I mean it makes no difference anyways cause they were all running together and both goats had broken abcesses when she noticed it and then put them in quarentine, so if they had it the whole herd would have it, like I said, no one else has any. THanks guys!

8. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    splinters YES!! if you watch them rubb they probably rub right on the locations where the abcesses are.

YOu want to flush it out with peroxide or something like it. I wouldn't worry about it spreading since it is more then likely a staff infection.

9. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Splinters from rubbing those posts!! All of mine rub against ANYTHING that is fixed....including the frame of their doorway and yes I have dealt with festered splinters...not pretty when you need to drain them but they all end up fine afterwards. Those cow thistle type bushes will even cause a nasty lump. Drain and clean well and they'll be fine.

10. enjoytheride

enjoytheride New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Humboldt Co Ca
    I kind of wonder if there is staphe or something else on a fence post or something- that many abscesses forming in similar places would make me go out try to disinfect some of the posts if possible. I agree that in all the CL abscesses that Candy had, none smelled at all.

11. sixshooterfarm

Oct 18, 2007
    Valley Springs, Ca
    Well one of the things that I was reading was when you have chickens or ducks and they live in the same area as your goats, a splinter is way more likley to abscess due to the bacteria in the duck poop. I had ducks that loved to hang out in the goat pens, steal the goats grain and even swim in their water trough, the ducks have been sold cause I couldent keep the goats water clean and sorry but that is just gross! I have also noticed all the goats weight has become much better since the ducks are gone, probably cause they dident want to drink that nasty water! The pygmy breeder has ducks and chickens and their pool is even in the goat pen.... so I am thinking that while they are rubbing on the fence post and laying in the dirt is causing this. ALso the two goats are kinda older the buck is 6 and the doe is 9, and the doe has skin cancer on her tail web. SO I am thinking their immune systems are low also due to their age, do you guys think there is anything special my freind can give her two older goats. thanks guys

12. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    Probios would help them I am sure but wait till the round of antibiotics are through.