Accidentally quicked goat... Need some advice

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Nigerian dwarf goat, Jan 20, 2020.

1. Nigerian dwarf goat

Nigerian dwarf goat Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    Texas
    I was clipping hooves this morning until a helicopter flew over, and baby panicked in the middle of my cut, and i went too far.:hide: I have barely quicked goats before, but this was bad, it was dripping, and made a half dollar sized pool of blood on my stand before i could run to the barn and get blood stop powder (cornstarch) It bled through a few times until it subsided and i sprayed it with bactine and coated it once more. She is walking on it fine, but I am worried about infection. Should I just keep bactine up, or something else? Should I put some Koppertox on it to keep bacteria getting n and making hoof rot?

I feel really, really bad:(
    Thanks in advance!

Sfgwife likes this.
  2. NDinKY

NDinKY Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2019
    Kentucky
    I’ve accidentally quicked them before. I just put the hoof down and the pressure stopped the bleeding. The two times I’ve done it both healed up no problem. I didn’t put anything on it.

Sfgwife likes this.

3. lada823

lada823 Active Member

Apr 1, 2018
    Ohio
    I have sprayed them with blukote before and I've also done nothing and either way they heal up just fine.

4. groovyoldlady

groovyoldlady Goat Crazy!

Jul 21, 2011
    Central Maine
  5. Goats Rock

Goats Rock Member

Jun 20, 2011
    NE Ohio
    You could put a gauze or cotton patch on it and use paper tape, in the few days it takes to wear the tape off, the area has healed. Just helps to keep dirt out.

6. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Iodine/water each day, get a spray bottle and spray it daily, keep the hoof dry and clean.
    Make sure the goat doesn't walk too much on it for a few days.
    If not bleeding much or at all, do not wrap it.

7. Nigerian dwarf goat

Sep 24, 2017
    Texas
    no more bleeding, stopped abt 15 mins after i cut her. i will do the iodine water mix. is it a 50 50 mix?

8. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Yes, that sounds good.
    It helps dry it out so it hardens quicker.
    She will be tender for a while.
    You can give some banamine for pain, if she is in a lot of pain for a few days.

groovyoldlady likes this.
  9. Nigerian dwarf goat

Sep 24, 2017
    Texas
    I dont think she is in alot of pain, but I'm sure she is uncomfortable. She is just barely favoring it. If you didn't know how she walked, you wouldn't be able to tell anything is wrong. Just kinda takes a longer stride with that leg, i guess to keep it off the ground... Thank yall so much!

GoofyGoat likes this.
  10. Goats Rock

Goats Rock Member

Jun 20, 2011
    NE Ohio
    I think anyone that has trimmed a lot of feet has quicked one at some point. We probably feel worse than the goat, when it's done!

11. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    It doesn't sound like you went to deep then. (thumbup)