The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was clipping hooves this morning until a helicopter flew over, and baby panicked in the middle of my cut, and i went too far.:hide: I have barely quicked goats before, but this was bad, it was dripping, and made a half dollar sized pool of blood on my stand before i could run to the barn and get blood stop powder (cornstarch) It bled through a few times until it subsided and i sprayed it with bactine and coated it once more. She is walking on it fine, but I am worried about infection. Should I just keep bactine up, or something else? Should I put some Koppertox on it to keep bacteria getting n and making hoof rot?

I feel really, really bad:(
Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
845 Posts
I’ve accidentally quicked them before. I just put the hoof down and the pressure stopped the bleeding. The two times I’ve done it both healed up no problem. I didn’t put anything on it.

·
8,265 Posts
You could put a gauze or cotton patch on it and use paper tape, in the few days it takes to wear the tape off, the area has healed. Just helps to keep dirt out.

·
Registered
2,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I dont think she is in alot of pain, but I'm sure she is uncomfortable. She is just barely favoring it. If you didn't know how she walked, you wouldn't be able to tell anything is wrong. Just kinda takes a longer stride with that leg, i guess to keep it off the ground... Thank yall so much!

·
8,265 Posts
I think anyone that has trimmed a lot of feet has quicked one at some point. We probably feel worse than the goat, when it's done!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts