The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I put Ace in the lot today with 3 young does. He has no clue what to do and runs from them. He is just a little over 6 months old but I was really hoping he could get the job done this fall. Here are his 3 ladies.

Attachments

·
Registered
31,019 Posts
give him time...nature will kick in lol...

·
Super Moderator
59,213 Posts
He is still a bit immature. While they can get females pregnant, I don't count on them to do the job at that age.

·
76 Posts
I have 2 Jr bucks i plan on using this year - one is 7months old one is 6 months old. I had a nubian doe ready to breed yesterday 6 rday so I went and grabbed the 7 month old boy. He knew right what to do and I had 3 successful breedings out of him.. Now today I had another doe come into heat to i grabbed the 6 month old who has been acting "bucky" wwwayy longer than the 7 month old - put him in with a doe who is standing - he jumps up acts like he is going somewhere with it but is really not getting it.

·
Registered
31,019 Posts
LOL.yep its a gamble using a young buck...My lamancha was four months last season and serviced all my lamancha ladies with no trouble.....

·
Super Moderator
59,213 Posts
There is no question that it is possible for those young guys to get the girls pregnant, especially the ones you don't want to use for breeding. But there are plenty of those boys who just aren't ready and need more time. I don't see them as being reliable until closer to a year old. They are certainly more reliable at around 8 months but I like the reliability at a year old. It doesn't mean that they are bad or infertile. No different than any other species.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts