Ack! Extremely Weak Doeling...Don't know what is going on.

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by firelight27, Jun 5, 2010.

1. firelight27

firelight27 Hopelessly Addicted

Apr 24, 2009
    Southern Oregon
    Well, Narf managed to get into the neighbor's yard. A very lush and well manicured lawn. She immediately had awful diarrhea. So, I separated her from everyone because in the past this has been due to lush feed. I have had her separated for one whole day, and only fed her small amounts of hay this morning. She was fine, although screaming like someone was beating her because she wanted out. Tonight I go out and she is collapsed. Can't stand, can't lift her head. I have her inside, keeping her warm and giving her karo syrup and fluids. Once in awhile she tries to flop around, but her head wants to snap back almost to her back, like its stuck there. It doesn't appear as if she broke it or damaged it...I'm not sure what is going on. No vets available. Any clues?

2. firelight27

Apr 24, 2009
    Southern Oregon
    Re: Ack! Extremely Weak Doeling...Don't know what is going o

Never mind, she died. I have no idea what was wrong. My thought right now is polio, although I don't know how that would have come on so quickly. She was fine this morning. My other thought is she was jumping at the walls and trying to get out and fell on her head or neck and damaged it beyond repair. She was definitely displaying neurological symptoms. The vet on call that I talked to didn't think it could be polio, he thinks she ate something toxic in the neighbor's yard.

3. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas

Sounds like a toxicity. I am so sorry you lost her :-(

4. ZipperDoo

ZipperDoo Member

Apr 18, 2010

Yeah that seems like a toxic ingestion issue to me too... If she damaged her neck/head beyond repair, she would have died much more quickly, she'd scream in pain whenever she moved.

Also going to say I don't think it would be polio... Too fast of an onset. And given that she was in a well manicured lawn of a neighbor, she could have eaten weed killer, a toxic plant, chemical fertilizer... I'd say that was it.

I'm really sorry for your loss. :( It's always awful to lose one. :hug:

5. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca

agree with allison.. toxicity.. they go quick and fast..

happens alot with younger juniors that get too much of a rich food in them.. i've lost a couple that way

6. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA

Poor thing. I have to agree with the others about toxicity. So sorry for your loss.

7. Perfect7

Perfect7 New Member

Apr 19, 2010
    South Georgia

So sorry for your loss. :( :hug:

8. Galavanting Goat

Galavanting Goat New Member

Apr 27, 2010

fielight, I felt sick to my stomach reading your first post almost too scared to read the outcome, yes, I have no doubt it was toxicity, its a horrible death to witness. I'm really sorry she and you had to go through it. Sometimes the tocicity can take up to 3 days to bring about the end result, we worked so hard on both and adult doe and 3 month old doeling not knowing at the time what was wrong with them, it wasn't until a number of moths later we discovered we had poison peach on the property. Agian i'm sorry you lost her.

9. Realfoodmama

Realfoodmama New Member

Apr 12, 2010
    Santa Fe, NM

I am so sorry for your loss. :hug:

10. FunnyRiverFarm

FunnyRiverFarm New Member

Sep 13, 2008
    Hudson, MI

Oh no! I am so sorry she did not make it :(

11. HoosierShadow

HoosierShadow Senior Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky

I am so very sorry to hear you lost her little doe. WHile I don't know a lot about goats yet, I have to agree that it sounds like she got into something poisonous. Especially if she was fine, then suddenly she wasn't fine after being in your neighbors yard. Again I am so sorry, I can't imagine how heartbreaking this is for you :(

12. Mully

Mully New Member

Jun 23, 2009
    Mt Ulla , NC

So sorry you lost her !! Blessings to you!

One thought is that she might have eaten some milkweed as it has been so wet and the milkweed has been growing everywhere.

13. firelight27

Apr 24, 2009
    Southern Oregon

It was very sudden. I think you are all correct about toxicity. I haven't had any of them get in his yard before either. The fencing is very tight at the bottom, and open up to bigger squares as it goes higher. She had to have climbed it almost like a ladder to one of the larger holes and then slipped through. I cried, but there was nothing I could do. By the time we knew she was sick, it was already too late, even if we got her to a vet. His yard doesn't seem to have any poisonous plants. Just grass. He does have a couple of trees whose leaves might be bad, but the leaves are way, way up there and they weren't shedding them...He has some fir type bushes, no berries. I wouldn't think that would do it. The only other thing I can think of is chemicals on his lawn...fertilizer, insecticides.

I feel really bad for Val. She was her best friend. I have her in with Pearl and her young babies, in a gravel pen. Pearl is being great with her. I'm shocked, because usually the does won't let any other kids near theirs. I went to feed them this morning, and Val was snuggled up against Pearl and Pearl's kids were curled over the top of Val's legs. Just a giant ball of sleeping goats.

Not to sound bad, but I'm relieved that you all agree on toxicity. I'm almost 100% sure its nothing in our field, because I've had goats out on it all year round for a couple of years and the same plants grow consistently..never had an issue. I am seriously thinking it was the neighbor's yard. I was freaking out that it was something that was possibly contagious and that I'm going to lose more kids, but I guess if his yard is toxic the solution is a crap-load of chicken wire all down his fence line.

SDK- You lost some due to rich food alone...without any actual poisonous plants? Do they have the same signs? Because that could be it too. His lawn was super rich. Is it possible she became toxic simply by eating way too much of his lush grass?

14. firelight27

Apr 24, 2009
    Southern Oregon

I just realized I sounded like an idiot. I know eating a ton of rich food is what result in overeating disease...but I mean, have you had them get it even when they had been vaccinated with CD & T? I'm wondering now, because when I got her and the owners said she had been vaccinated, they said they didn't use CD&T, that they had the vet do it and it was something "better." I wonder if she was vaccinated improperly, or if CD just reduces the risk but doesn't necessarily eliminate it. I wouldn't be surprised. People put too much faith in vaccines...

Its so depressing because I've had to deal with allot of animal death over the last couple of years. It makes me wonder if I'm cursing these poor animals. Last summer we got two puppies. They were two months apart in age, not related. We vaccinated both of them, with 4 rounds of puppy shots that included Parvo. At 4 months, the younger pup got parvo and died. He threw up for a couple of days in a row, but was happy so we didn't think much of it....because occasionally our dogs eat something dumb and throw up. Then he went downhill so fast and suddenly he was just gone. We took the 6 month old in the next morning just to have him tested. He tested positive, with no symptoms. They started intensive treatment immediately, and we still nearly lost him even catching it so early on. Cost us $600 to save him...and that was a great deal. But the thing is, they were both very well vaccinated against it. Vaccines are unfortunately, not very fail proof when it comes to certain things.

15. Perfect7

Perfect7 New Member

Apr 19, 2010
    South Georgia

I know how you feel, firelight. The first horse we brought to this land died within a week of severe colic, twisted intestines, and we put her down. Our first foal born on this land died within four days after a red bag delivery. The first two dogs we brought here contracted parvo after vaccination for it. We saved one and the other died. Our first kitten (and last) commited suicide after getting into our car engine, breaking her leg on the fan, and being put in a cast. Two days later she walked into the back yard and the dogs finished the job. Our first two turkeys, one flew the coop and got into the back yard. Same dogs, same ending. And we also just lost a baby doeling after starting with goats 1 1/2 months ago. :( No chicken losses yet (knocking heavily on the wood) but I may go out and butcher a rooster to speed the process. My dh said we needed to start making an animal sacrifice to the land when we bring in a new species. :laugh: But back to the parvo, I've had three dogs contract it after being vaccinated so I have refused since to vaccinate for parvo. Nobody else has gotten it, even on the same land where parvo is supposed to live forever. :shrug:

16. cmjust0

cmjust0 New Member

Oct 8, 2009

My wife's aunt lost a goat to a "Lilly of the Valley" plant in her own yard.. Delphinium, azaleas, oleander, larkspur...there are quite a few ornamental plants that are poisonous to goats.

Really, really sorry. :(