Ack! My kid has cooties!

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by trailhound, Apr 1, 2008.

1. trailhound

trailhound New Member

Mar 22, 2008
    North Carolina
    I have had my 7 week old doeling, Maple, for a little over a week. I noticed over the last few days she has been acting itchy and upon further examination I found critters in her fur. I did a little research and I think they are biting lice, from as best I can tell.

Her mother was dewormed when she was born, but she hasn't had anything since.

What is the best way to get rid of these critters? I read that goat lice don't like people, but it gives me the creepy crawlies to think about. I was going to take her to school tomorrow to share with my kindergarten class- should I not do this until I get rid of the lice- sounds like it takes a while to get rid of them since they do the nit stage and live in her environment.

Thanks for the help!

2. goatnutty

goatnutty Active Member

Oct 9, 2007
    South East,IN
    We went through that last year right before the fair.I would go to your local farm and tractor or other store that you get your animal stuff from and by some dust.It sems to work better for me then the spray.It will say on it that it's for parasites.Theres 7 dust and we have something different but whatever they carry should work fine.

3. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    sevin dust will get rid of them. do a search on here for lice and you will find some good information on how to get rid of them.

The lice won't travel to the kids - but if they are visible people may find them gross and icky.

4. trailhound

trailhound New Member

Mar 22, 2008
    North Carolina
    Re: Ack! My kid has cooties! update

I did a search for lice as suggested and one of the things that caught my eye as a solution was DE. However, I got mixed up and couldn't follow the posts in the right order (it has been a long week, lol) to find out if anyone has personally had success with it.

So, I went to the store after work and came home with a dog/cat flea bath, main ingredient Pyrethrins. I know that pyrethrins or permethrins (spelling, sorry!) is fairly benign, but couldn't remember which one. All of the sprays, dusts and shampoos for goats, dogs, cats, puppies and kittens have pyrethrins, so I got one by a company called Happy Jack. I thought the shampoo might be good because I can kill off the lice without having leave the chemical on her. I also bought a flea comb, and DE. My plan was to go over her with the flea comb and get as many lice off as possible, then bath her, then dust with DE.

By the time I finished combing, it was 8 and I was starving, so I dusted her and skipped the bath. I cleaned the crate she sleeps in at night, rebedded it and added DE, and also put DE out in her pen.

The flea comb was very effective, though tedious. I feel like I got the majority of the lice off, as well as a lot of nits.

I figure I will monitor the situation and see if the DE will work without the drama of a bath. What do you guys think?

My other question is this. Maple is an only goat right now and I am planning on getting her a buddy on Sunday, which most likely be a 4 month old bottle-feeding kid. I thought if the DE seems to be working, I could just dust him right away to help prevent him from getting the lice. I hate to bring in a new goat when I have a parasite problem, but I am also anxious to get Maple a friend and figure a few lice are better than a lonely kid. Is that unreasonable?

Thanks for all of the help!

5. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    Yes the DE (food grade, not the pool filter kind) is a good lice treatment.

Sure dust the new little guy, it would be a good idea. Thats great that you found her a companion.

6. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    I use 7 dust. It is cheap and easy to get.

7. bigoakfarm

bigoakfarm New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Kentucky
    The sevin dust works well around here too. It's easily available and easy to use. I use a jar with holes poked in the top to make a shaker. I am just dusting a little bit every couple weeks or so until it warms up enough to start clipping. We're having them worse this year and I think it's because we switched from Ivomec to Cydectin for our regular worming. But maybe not, idk. At any rate, I'm happy with the sevin dust.

Congrats on your upcoming addition to the family. :dance:

Kristen