Acorn poisioning

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Sweet Gum Minis, Oct 13, 2007.

1. Sweet Gum Minis

Sweet Gum Minis New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    Easley, SC
    I noticed the other day that when I'd turn my goats out they'd go to one specific region and crunch on something. I looked and discovered it was acorns. I never thought anything about it until today.

Yesterday I went to feed the goats as usual and discovered Alyssum dead. Yes that's Petite's sweet little doeling just born in mid September. This morning I found Mischief almost dead so we rushed her to the vet. She died in my hands while we waited for the vet to finish with his patient before us. I left her for a necropsy and at this point I don't know anything.

I'm trying to decide if we need to cut down the oak trees due to acorn poisioning. Most of our trees are sweet gums which are harmless enough and huge giving us wonderful shade in the hot summer for our pastures. There are only a few oaks that I will take down if they threaten my goat's lives.

What I was curious is, do any of you have or dealt with acorn poisoining? I will be cleaning my baren pasture tomorrow of acrons since my goats seek them out.

2. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    OMGosh Ashely I'm so sorry! *hugs*
    It seems like it depends upon the area you live in if the oak leaves/acorns will affect your goats. Like up here we don't have any problems. Do you keep out baking soda? Here would be my suggested treatment if this happens again:
    Charcoal
    Milk of Magnesia and olive oil drenched 4x a day
    and Nux Vomica, a homeopathic remedy used to treat poisonings specifically. It should be given 3x a day at a 30c potency.
    I'm so sorry Ashely, that is so sad :cry:

3. samall

samall New Member

Oct 7, 2007
    Iowa
    Oh Ashley I am so sorry to hear that! What a horrible shock that must have been for you...such terrible news. I had no idea acorns could be poisonous. :cry:

4. Muddy Creek Farm

Muddy Creek Farm New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Keokuk, Iowa
    Uh oh, my goats eat acorns all the time *gulp* maybe they are not a harmful kind or something idk. I am so sorry Ashley! I saw they weren't on your doe page anymore and wondered why. (((((HUGS))))) :cry:

5. enjoytheride

enjoytheride New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Humboldt Co Ca
    What a heartbreak. We don't have many oaks here on the coast so I have no experience with this.
    I so sorry that you had this happen. Please let us know what the vet finds.

6. Sara

Sara Guest

Oct 4, 2007
    OH my Gosh, I'm sorry! That's HORRIBLE! I hope you find out some information form the necropsy

7. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    OH ASHELY!!!!!!!! *tears* I can't begin to tell you how sorry I am what a terrible blow.

Never had a problem with acorns and I am surrounded by them plus have them in the pen with my goats.

With the age of your doelings I am doubtful they would actually eat the acorns - but then again I don't know your goats. I just find that they don't eat solid stuff like that until more like 4-6 months.

I hope you find some answers. Praying that it is a simple soulution.

again I am deeply sorry!

8. Muddy Creek Farm

Muddy Creek Farm New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Keokuk, Iowa
    I was about to say the same thing, my 6 month olds are out there munching on acorns..... I would probably start looking for another cause.

Again I am SOOOOOOOOO..... sorry for your loss. :cry:

9. lesserweevil

lesserweevil New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    that's really sad! I hope you find out what the problem is and can prevent it happening again.

10. fritzie

fritzie New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    TENN
    i am sooo sorry for your loss. hugs to you kiddo. like the others my goats have eaten acorns to & i have never had a problum with them but they have never eatten alot. i have heard that they can be posionous to goats tho. i hope you find out what it is soon

11. Rockytopsis

Rockytopsis New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    I don't think I would cut the oak trees down or try to keep the acorns picked up as the will be falling all day and you would have to stand out there 24-7. My goats love acorns. Wait and see what the necropsy shows.

12. Sweet Gum Minis

Sweet Gum Minis New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    Easley, SC
    I know 5 week old kids hardly eat solids let alone hard solids, but they would have residue or parts of it passed through the milk to them. That very well could be why only the kids are ill.

I have also read up on a type of pneumonia that shows no outward signs, just a fever, and they die in 12 hours.

The vet did say he saw some spots on her lungs but at this point wasn't sure what from. We're going up there tomorrow to discuss his findings as well as to determine which labs would hopefully give us some answers.

13. enjoytheride

enjoytheride New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Humboldt Co Ca
    That must be what people call silent pneumonia. I do wonder what causes that.
    I hope you little doe is doing OK.

14. sixshooterfarm

sixshooterfarm New Member

Oct 18, 2007
    Valley Springs, Ca
    I am so sorry, that is just horrible, I hate it when goats die, and then not knowing what caused it is just worse. I have a backyard full of oaks, and my goats have eaten acorns for years, well I let all the girls out the other day and they ate too many acorns so now everyone has the runs....one girl I am watching cause she isent feeling too good, but other than that I have never had a problem unless they gorge themselves, I am honestly thinking your girls died of pneuomnia, I lost a couple of goats this last summer to silent pneumonia, just like you said one second they are fine then they are down and dead.... very sad, i am very sorry!

15. cute kids

cute kids Guest

Oct 5, 2007
    it does seem too many goats DO eat acorns without bad results to blame that. i do hope you will let us all know what the post turns up.
    the thought of finding any of my little ones dead is just a worst nightmare. i am so sorry you have lost yours; perhaps their deaths can help to save others.
    so glad you have others to go and hug, but you must be so nervous right now. be well--you and the goats.

16. GSFarm

GSFarm New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    Fairview, TN
    I'm so so so sorry Ashley!! Those does were so beautiful!!

Prayers are coming your way for an answer!

17. needs to know more

needs to know more Guest

Oct 7, 2007
    I am so sorry for your loss!

did you get any results or answers?
    I don't have oak trees here to worry about. But there is a possiblity that someday my goats will be surrounded by them. So I have been doing a little research on them and coming up with different answers. I am trying to decide that if that someday arrives, am I willing to put my goats at risk.

18. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I don't know if Ashely wants me to post the findings for her but I did want to mention that it was not acorn poisoning.

maybe she will get back on here to let everyone know what the neocropsy showed.

19. needs to know more

needs to know more Guest

Oct 7, 2007
    thanks Stacey

Prayers are with her on her losses!

20. sixshooterfarm

sixshooterfarm New Member

Oct 18, 2007
    Valley Springs, Ca
    ok, well I know I am curious to know as we had a similar situation, so if you would like to share that would be great!