You bet I have 💔‼ first and foremost I want you to know how awfull I feel about your loss...I lost my two Nubians only weeks apart..Rose couldn't eat, her teeth were almost gone and Onxy was her daughter after rose passed I saw Onxy giving up, she REFUSED to eat anything I tried to give her but the vet x-rayed her chest and found a tumor pressing on her diagram 💔 read my story about Bull... he had acorn toxicity! I noticed he was off so I watched him carefully..then I took his temperature and it was 105.8‼💔 I then looked at his eyes😧 Completely yellow..his liver was shutting down 😖... rushed him to the vet and brought home IV fluids, they put a port in his neck so that we didn't have to poke him every morning and evening.. banamine for the fever ..my vet couldn't even read his blood work! Put it into the spinner and it was too thick and HORRIFIC looking.. nobody gave me any hope but I was determined not to lose my boy ❣ his liver was so bad that his skin peeled off his nose and ears...I gave him an iron shot every Friday..he was so weak and critical..I noticed the other day that when I'd turn my goats out they'd go to one specific region and crunch on something. I looked and discovered it was acorns. I never thought anything about it until today.
Yesterday I went to feed the goats as usual and discovered Alyssum dead. Yes that's Petite's sweet little doeling just born in mid September. This morning I found Mischief almost dead so we rushed her to the vet. She died in my hands while we waited for the vet to finish with his patient before us. I left her for a necropsy and at this point I don't know anything.
I'm trying to decide if we need to cut down the oak trees due to acorn poisioning. Most of our trees are sweet gums which are harmless enough and huge giving us wonderful shade in the hot summer for our pastures. There are only a few oaks that I will take down if they threaten my goat's lives.
What I was curious is, do any of you have or dealt with acorn poisoining? I will be cleaning my baren pasture tomorrow of acrons since my goats seek them out.
Ohhh boy acorns are pure toxicity.. don't if possible let your goats near acorns😧💔‼ Because they don't have to be Green to kill a goat.. you probably saw what happened with my boy.. he was critical for a month and nobody gave me any hope.. but he's recovered PRAISE GOD 🙏The necropsy results showed that it was the silent pneumonia that she died from. He also mentioned some abnormal cells in the heart but that was inconclusive.
Acorns are only toxic if green.