The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 3 of 10 Posts

Registered
Joined
351 Posts
Re: What plants do you worry about?

I recall the folks at Butthead telling me that they had a problem with their goats eating acorns. I think, if I remember correctly, the mother of the baby I got from them died because her liver was destroyed slowly from the oak/acorns she was eating. They had had a large tree fall over and all the goats were eating more than usual for a while. My goats love to eat acorns, and I let them on hiking occasions, but I wouldn't let them pig out on them all the time.
My sweet boy had gotten ACORN TOXICITY! Off feed, staying in his hut I checked his eyes are 馃槺all I saw was JAUNDICE! He was critical! 105.8 fever and jaundice Wouldn't eat.. been doing IV fluids twice a day a litter at a time to clean out the TOXICITY..not out of the woods yet but PRAYING TO GOD 馃檹 I CAN KEEP HIM MANY MORE YEARS...I'm also praying tomorrow when my vet checks his blood, that it will look better.. wasn't good at all... didn't eat for 2 weeks, now eating and I give him probiotics and electrolytes in apple juice and he sucks it down now..馃檹馃檹馃檹 PRAYING for complete recovery.. but if I have to give iv fluids for years that's exactly what I will do馃檹
 

Registered
Joined
351 Posts
This is a very old thread, and plenty of us have goats that eat acorns and don't have any issues.

I'm sorry you are dealing with this and I hope your boy makes a full recovery.
I have been looking for the thread I started on acorn toxicity.. I wanted to update you good people but I'm not able to find it.. I really have trouble navigating this site but I won't go on facebook to the goat pages..
 

Registered
Joined
351 Posts
I've seen acorns on some of the lists of poisonous things. I know the deer thrive on these, are the goats really allergic? Also, Hemlock and pine are listed, but I thought they could eat these. We spend alot of time in areas of heavy pioson oak, I wonder if this is a problem also.
POISON IVY is fine for goats... did you happen to see what happened to one of my boy's 馃槚 almost died from acorns. Foraging before grass and bushes came in... his liver SHUT down 馃敾....I have the very best vets named Cara and Lyndsey..I noticed he wasn't himself... for a day I thought maybe he's having an off day but the next day I took his temperature..105.8...馃槼then I looked at his eyes 馃槯 my jaw dropped.. totally yellow 馃槼 rushed him to our vet, they put a port into his neck.. brought IV fluids medications and hydrated him morning and evening.. nobody gave him any chance to STILL be alive..I could read it on my vets faces... but I wasn't about to give up on my boy... critical for a month.. expecting him to be gone my vets said when I brought him back for blood work.. are you SURE THIS IS THE RIGHT GOAT 馃悙... never will I give up..I will always fight as hard as GOD 馃檹 and I can.. sometimes HE says yes but I also understand that the answer could be no...not Because HE'S mean but there's a time for every season.. this time I get to keep him馃挒馃挒馃挒馃挒 my goats eat pine most of the winter..I have seen that it supposdly kills parasites.. but they love every part..I keep the pine there until they do their art on the limbs.. eating the bark leaves a nice piece of art馃榿

.
 
1 - 3 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top