Activated charcol

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Victoria, Apr 23, 2009.

1. Victoria

Victoria New Member

Dec 20, 2008
    Vernonia, Oregon
    I hope you all had a glorious day today!!
    I was working with my old goatie vet today, and I picked her brains a bit on the subject of activated charcol for goaties...
    I know alot of advise goes out on here about using charcol...the concern is that the Plumb book mentions the use of saline along with the charcol to reduce the effect on the rumen..(there's more info on that part i was too busy to check the other books today) so you have to basiclly drown the goat in saline to protect the rumen, but the saline will cause dehydration....
    I am wondering if any of you have ever heard of such a thing..or have any of you ever used charcol w/ no ill effects?? I was going to get some to keep on hand, and quite honestly I don't trust the medical books 100%, nor do I trust the vets 100%...Thanks for your input!!

2. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    I have used charcoal and I know of others who have used charcoal with get success.

I have never heard of giving Saline with Charcoal. It dosen't make any sense to me. :shrug:

What book was this?

3. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I wish I could help ...but I haven't used it.....knock on wood..

4. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    NO I have never used charcoal but what i have on hand is a tube of charcoal an other stuff and it is labled for goats, cows, dogs, cat etc for the treatment of poisoning. it gives dosage and such on the tube. I bought it from Jeffers. I do believe the name was Activated Charcoal but I could be wrong will need to double check

5. Victoria

Victoria New Member

Dec 20, 2008
    Vernonia, Oregon
    The Plumb is the veterinary Bible , it has all medications and doses in it..yea, that's why i don't trust it...hmmm

6. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Yeah, thats the tube I have Stacey.

7. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I need to get me some.....how much is it?

8. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    $7 on Jeffers. Just look up Activated Charcoal. :) Very cheap insurance imo. :thumb:

9. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    thank you...RunAround... :wink: :)

10. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    There are two different products. Either one will work. I have the Activated Charcoal Gel with Electrolytes in a 300ml tube. It says you need an applicator gun, but I just use a stick and squirt it into a syringe to measure it out right.

And just an fyi. It does not taste good and does stain clothing. So expect the goat to spit some out and onto your clothes. :roll:

11. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Oh boy...thanks for the info ...I really appreciate the warning.....I know how they can spit out what they don't like...LOL :wink:

12. Victoria

Victoria New Member

Dec 20, 2008
    Vernonia, Oregon
    So, I take it there's not alot of experience? Or no ill effect??

13. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    that's what it sounds like...Victoria..and what I get out of the answers...using the activated charcoal works wonders and saves the goat... with no harmful effects....but they are unsure about using Saline with it.. :wink:

14. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I dont even know what Saline is :shrug:

15. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Normal Saline is essentially sterile salt water.

The answer from me is I have given Activated Charcoal gel and saved my goat with it. I have also talked to several other goat breeders and activated Charcoal is safe.

16. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    oh my how dumb can I be LOL :doh:

THanks Ashley -- sometimes I wonder if my brain is switched to ON :shades:

17. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    thanks ....RunAround.... :wink: :greengrin: :hug:

It's OK stacey don't feel bad..... :doh: :hug: we all have done the :doh: moment....

18. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

the only thing i have ever used saline for is a uterus infection. Or flushing a uterus after a doe has produced a dead kid.
    I had a doe who loved rhodies. If she got out you could find her in there. I kept activated charcoal on hand all the time. I got the little rocks from the pet store, I havd a coffee grinder just for this purpose. I ground it up into a fine powder and then mixed it with mineral oil. I never had any ill effects from using either.
    beth

19. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Never had to use it either but I do have a tube of UAA, which is Universal Animal Antidote gel, it is in a plunger type tube like paste wormer comes. Has activated charcoal and "thermally activated attapulgite clay" in an aqueous gel suspension. I think I got it from Hoeggars a few years ago. I would use it if I needed to....especially in a life or death situation. And he use of saline would likely render the affect of the charcoal useless....charcoal binds toxins, adding extra fluid would make it less effective I think.

20. Victoria

Victoria New Member

Dec 20, 2008
    Vernonia, Oregon
    I know, it makes no sense that the books say that!! It makes me nuts to try to get advise from the vets who should know more than we do...they are going by the book, I would rather go by your experience and it seems like charcoal is fine for our goaties!!Thanks for all the input!!! :greengrin: