The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Shady Acre Homestead
14,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought I was reading on here that you could use acv and water to make a repellent? Does it really work? I'd like to not use chemicals if possible...

If so, how do you mix it and how often to apply it to keep these pesky deer flies from irritating my goats ??

All suggestions welcome....oh, and I milk outdoors so no fan usage :(

·
Registered
30,611 Posts
50/50 ACV /water...depending on how bad the flies are will depend on how often..Im just starting to check it out..I also read if you add it to their water it helps too : ) think trying that will be good too lol

a lady from a horse rescue place told me 50/50 ACV and hair conditioner, haven't tried that yet..also Tea tree oil in water suppose to work..
i think there are plenty of natural things to try and quite frankly many of the so call good stuff dont work very well any way..: )

·
1,524 Posts
I never had any luck at all with ACV and water or all ACV when it came to flies. I tried all sorts of essential oils and herbs and all, nothign kept the flies off the goats or horses. Now I just use the Tractor supply horse spray. It works about as well as any of them. I spray just before they jump on the milk stand. I also make sure I spray the milk stand and surrounding area with the Bayer Quick Bayt and hang a fly tape above the stand. I spray the area with barn spray just before milking also.

·
Registered
30,611 Posts
LOL..I did the same thing this evening on my donkeys...they were less than excited to smell like fermented apples lol...but the flies did seem to think twice about riding them around: )

·
Registered
30,611 Posts
well I dont know how well it helped my donkeys...the Lord has blessed us with a ton of rain (4 1/4 inches so far) although my donkeys have shelter they dont alway stay under it..UGh...we will soon see however since the rain is over..I will retreat tonight.

Some one offered to do a rain dance for Texas..WELL IT WORKED lol..:cool:

·
Registered
30,611 Posts
well I had a huge surprise tonight...Brought my donkeys in their pen and not one fly in them!!! NOT ONE!! even with the rain!...all I did was pour soem raw ACV in a bowl and diluted it some..I didnt measure..used a rag to wipe them all down since they dont like to be sprayed...WOW...I hope it wasnt just a fluke...I'll keep you posted ;)

and canthavejustone...well you need to get back to those test tubes and find that combo of good stuff...we are in the need to stop flies!!! :D

1 - 19 of 19 Posts