ACV in water- Did you like it?

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by nannysrus, Nov 3, 2015.

1. nannysrus

nannysrus New Member

We have been using ACV with mother in our goats water for about two weeks now. I use 3 tablespoon to a two gallon bucket which I refill three times a day for 4 does and 4 doelings. (They always drink it all).

Well, I have noticed that sense we have been doing this that their rumens are no where near as large or filled looking as they were prior to us adding the ACV. Has anyone else noticed this?

Our goats absolutely love the ACV in their water but Im wondering if them drinking it 24/7 is good for them.

They several other water troughs in their pasture with plain water in them so they have the option to drink water without ACV.

2. Mountainfarms

Mountainfarms New Member

Feb 2, 2015
    I may be over dosing then. i put a cup or so in each five gallon.

3. Bree_6293

Bree_6293 Briawell6293

Aug 3, 2014
    Australia
    Yer I put about 1 cup per 10L. I offer both with and without aswell and my goats always look amazing on it. When I get new ones and they start drinking it the improvements are just amazing. But maybe if your worried every second time leave it out?

4. Mountainfarms

Mountainfarms New Member

Feb 2, 2015
    Im a believer in the stuff , if the goats want it they will drink it. good idea using some with and some without .

5. nannysrus

nannysrus New Member

I read somewhere an ounce per gallon..... oh I can't remember what article it was but it gave doses for all different livestock.
    I maybe once again "micromanaging" lol or maybe it's the change in weather and they aren't browsing as much but eating more hay.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2015
  6. lovinglife

lovinglife Active Member

Jun 6, 2013
    Southern Idaho
    I just dump a big glug in when I fill waterers, I am out now but I had a big 5 gallon bucket of ACV with the mother, left it out by the waterers and just a dump every other fill up, so every other day. Love it.

7. thekibblegoddess

thekibblegoddess Member

Dec 13, 2014
    Sylvania, GA
    Just posted this on another forum, but when ever i am adding the ACV to the water bucket, my doe hurries over and drinks it right out of the bottle! She seems to love the taste. They've been on it since i've had them, so i wouldn't know how they are without it. My doe has never had an overly large rumen.

8. happybleats

happybleats Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    we used it all summer to get more fluid intake...we notice an increase in milk production, from ACV or just more fluid in take lol..we dont know..but the girls loved it. ...we also always have fresh water to choose..

9. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    We have two 15 gal; one plain & the other oh, maybe 8 seconds of glugs.
    The ACV water is the first to go.
    While bringing the jug out there there's usually someone who has to sniff it.

10. Steampunked

Steampunked Active Member

Mar 23, 2015
    Australia
    ACV also acidifies some of the internal systems - it messes up parasites and so forth. I'll be honest, I have no idea about goats, but it works SO WELL on all of my other animals. Even on humans sometimes. It can give water a nice 'tingle' for some species, which makes them drink more, and for that matter, my partner has been known to put a dash of it in water on hot days.

You can get ACV with garlic added, which really seems to put shine on feathery friends. And I mean shine - I have huge fat hens with iridescent feathers who really show when they're being fed right.

It very much assists humans with bloat from poor bacterial action, might help a critter with a rumen in the same way.

You can also use it to assist fermentation procedure - it tends to kill bad yeast-bacteria combinations, while the ones that we like can survive the acidified environment.

11. lovinglife

lovinglife Active Member

Jun 6, 2013
    Southern Idaho
    Hmm, I grow garlic every year and usually have an overabundance, maybe I will start adding some to the chicken feed once a week. Going to dehydrate a bunch this weekend so that would work really good to add to feed for them. Looking forward to chickens with super shiny feathers!

12. groovyoldlady

groovyoldlady Goat Crazy!

Jul 21, 2011
    Central Maine
    My water is high in calcium, so I ALWAYS add acv. But I'm a glugger. 2 glugs for the big buckets and 1 good glug for the smaller bucket. All my goats drink quite well - even at the fairs - as long as I add the acv.

13. nannysrus

nannysrus New Member

Our water is extremely high in iron. :-/

We are working to remedy that but so far not much luck. The high iron is causing a lot of issues.