The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

© craigslist - Map data © OpenStreetMap
7 yr. old black Nigerian Dwarf type doe and blue eyed light caramel buckling for sale.
Cash only, to be paid in full. Buckling was born 2/8/21. Please bring adequate cage,
preferably 2 cages or doe may squish baby if you drive stupid/roll carrier.
I will not sell to someone who will leave them loose in a vehicle or in trunk of car.
Honest to God, you cannot hold a scared goat and drive. You cannot drive while a goat
runs laps in the cab of your truck, either. Guess why I know this. Will not sell separate
as buckling is too young to wean and has been on Mama too long to switch to bottle.

·
Registered
476 Posts
It sounds like the seller has had the same kids of experiences with Craigslist buyers as I have (rofl) Now when someone comes to pick up a goat, (or any animal) I specifically ask them if they have an appropriate cage WITH A DOOR for said animal. Some guy last year came to pick up goats with a large dog crate in the back of his open bed pickup. Which would have been fine, except that the crate had no door. I also had someone come to buy a duck that they expected to ride back home with them (it was a 40 minute drive) in their son's lap in the cab of their pickup. First of all, if you've owned ducks you know that they poop mushy duck poop about every 3 minutes. Second, enjoy driving with a terrified duck flapping around in your cab!
Craigslist has made me loose a LOT of faith in people. Unfortunately it's the best place I've found to market my livestock. I vet people before I let them come out and even still, I get some pretty "special" ones. I have found a lot of really awesome buyers that way too though, so it's always a mixed bag!

·
Registered
175 Posts
I have always hauled our NDs uncaged in the back of a Subaru. They lounge happily on a straw-covered tarp with a hay bale dividing the front and back of the cab. This is what I was taught by the dairy who sold me my original goats and I've never had an issue with it. But I can definitely see why people would be concerned. And there are definitely weirdo animal buyers on CL.

Side note, I would rather eat a bucket of live June bugs before I would have even a single uncaged duck in my truck.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts