Ad wording help please?

Discussion in 'Business Buzz' started by MissMM, Oct 4, 2010.

1. MissMM

MissMM New Member

Oct 22, 2007
    McGregor, MN
    My marketing skills are basically non-existent so I hope some of you can help. Last spring our meat bird/cornish X birds sold very well. We only intended to do 200 as that was the size limit for the pen we had ready. Anyway, what I want to do is create a post card type of thing that I can give to existing customers as well as give out to others I've talked to in order to get an idea of how many birds we should be prepared to raise next year. We have a whole other barn (former turkey barn) that we aren't using yet except for storage and intend to use our down time this winter to rehab it into chicken pens - layers and meat birds.

How should I word the postcard to advise it is just an 'interest indicator' for planning purposes and does not obligate the individual to purchase anything at this point? Anyone that returns the card would be contacted again in early spring to confirm their order.

Any help your suggestions you could provide would be greatly appreciated. The examples I've come up with so far sound really retarded.

2. tracyqh

tracyqh New Member

Aug 9, 2010
    Ohio
    How about something like this:

Want something wholesome and delicious for supper? Tired of tasteless chicken from the supermarket? Then place your order for our 2011 Cornish Cross meat birds. These birds come processed, frozen and ready to be prepared any way you like. We are limited to 200 birds, so place your orders early.
    Contact Info: xxx-xxx-xxxx

If you have a logo or something to go at the top along with your address. Maybe put the price on too. I don't know if your chickens come the way I mentioned, but you get my drift.

Good luck!

3. MissMM

MissMM New Member

Oct 22, 2007
    McGregor, MN
    excellent! thank you!

For some reason my mind just doesn't work the way it needs to for coming up with catchy stuff like that.

4. tracyqh

tracyqh New Member

Aug 9, 2010
    Ohio
    No problem! I'm in equine advertising :laugh:

5. kannm

kannm New Member

Mar 18, 2009
    that was really good tracy.

I just saw this type of thing on a farm website. Basically, it is not a new or surprising thing to people that you will have a limited number of birds available and that they would need to get orders in early. I do not remember if they required a deposit, but I would not thing that a deposit would be a terrible idea.

Good luck on your bird sales!!!

6. MissMM

MissMM New Member

Oct 22, 2007
    McGregor, MN
    I do the deposit thing ($5 per bird) to help with the cost of the bird and a majority of the feed from start to finish. I don't do operating loans at this point so any feed/materials needed comes out of my checkbook. And nowadays there's not much left in there after bills. :sigh:

7. tracyqh

tracyqh New Member

Aug 9, 2010
    Ohio
    I understand with the low checkbook. I'm trying to get more self-sufficient and raising more food stuffs at home and cutting back on expenses. I hope you do well with your bird sells.

8. kannm

kannm New Member

Mar 18, 2009
    How much does it cost for a bird, then? Do you freeze them or only do fresh?

9. MissMM

MissMM New Member

Oct 22, 2007
    McGregor, MN
    I buy the birds as day olds and raise them for 8-10 weeks. After cost per bird to raise is about $7.50 per bird (includes the cost of the bird). We sell them for $2.25 per lb dressed, whole with gizzards; $2.35 per pound cut up. We freeze them immediately then call the customer to notify their bird (s) are ready. With our current set-up, we can only store about 120 birds so we butcher in intervals after birds have been picked up. We averaged 6 lbs dressed.