The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
HaileyBailey
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going blind searching so am giving in and posting instead. lol

All of my goats (ND, 4 Lamancha, 1 Mini-Mancha) get around 2 lbs each of Chaffhaye per day and the girls in milk get grain on the stand. The grain is a mixture of oats, BOSS and shredded beat pulp. I want to add alfalfa pellets to see if it helps with milk production.

I know to add gradually, of course. But, in total, how much should I add per doe, per feeding or day?

I know I could leave it out free choice too... but not sure I want to go that route.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Are they getting any regular hay? Even on the Chaffhaye website, they advise that long-stem hay is still needed for proper digestion. Around here, a bag of alfalfa pellets is about $13 and a bale of alfalfa is anywhere from $15-20, depending on if you can find an independent seller or have to buy at the feed store.

Fiasco farms says:
Does-
in milk
If you want milk, you must feed your goat accordingly.

Be aware that with dairy goats, their milk production is about 9 to 10 per cent of their body weight, whereas a dairy cow produces 5 to 6 per cent of their body weight daily as milk. To maintain this level of milk production a dairy goat needs to eat between 5 to 7 per cent of her body weight daily; a dairy cow eats up to 4 per cent of her body weight per day. Be award that many times, no matter how much you feed, the doe will get thin. Does will put everything they have into milk production. It takes more out of a doe to make milk than to make babies!
  • 2 - 3 pounds of grain per day depending on milk production
  • 1 cup of black oil sunflower seeds (if she likes them)
  • 2 Tbls Diamond V Yeast Culture
  • 1 tsp. Herbal Dietary Supplement
    (Note: We let the mothers nurse their kids and we only milk once a day; see milking once a day)
  • a cup of Black Oil Sunflower Seeds
  • Hay: twice a day in winter/ once a day in summer. (How often you will need to feed hay depends on your particular situation)
  • Pasture/Browse, minerals and water free choice at all times.
When I first got my goats, I read somewhere that the OVERALL protein percentage in the diet is key to milk production. I want to say it was around 10 or 11%. So if you're feeding grass hay that's only 5%, and dairy feed that's 16%... you have to average it out (by weight I think?) and figure out where you're at. Given that they eat a lot more hay than grain... it would probably still be lower than optimal in this example.

My ND girls currently get 2c of 16% dairy feed, 1/2 BOSS, 1/2 alfalfa pellets during morning milking. They have free choice alfalfa hay. They get another 1 1/2c of dairy feed, 1c of beet pulp pellets, and another 1/2c of alfalfa pellets in the evening. They're currently both nursing triplets and I'm still getting a quart a day, with milking once/day. Could probably get another half quart if I wanted to milk them out completely, maybe more if I milked at night too.

I dont know that this is optimal either. I'm still pretty new (had goats for almost a year now)... so curious what others have to say.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
I'm going blind searching so am giving in and posting instead. lol

All of my goats (ND, 4 Lamancha, 1 Mini-Mancha) get around 2 lbs each of Chaffhaye per day and the girls in milk get grain on the stand. The grain is a mixture of oats, BOSS and shredded beat pulp. I want to add alfalfa pellets to see if it helps with milk production.

I know to add gradually, of course. But, in total, how much should I add per doe, per feeding or day?

I know I could leave it out free choice too... but not sure I want to go that route.
I've been feeding a mixture similar to yours:
6 parts oats
2 parts BOSS
2 parts Calf Manna
1 part Beet pulp

I mix all that together then mix one part of the mixture to 3 parts of alfalfa pellets. They seem to be doing well on it.

·
HaileyBailey
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Are they getting any regular hay? Even on the Chaffhaye website, they advise that long-stem hay is still needed for proper digestion.

Thank you for your reply, but I disagree and have checked with Chaffhaye regarding the addition of hay to Chaffhaye. Their response was, "Chaffhaye is a 100% hay replacement. Therefore, it is not necessary to feed other hays when feeding Chaffhaye."

My girls have been on Chaffhaye for around six months now and are thriving without the addition of any other hay.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Are they getting any regular hay? Even on the Chaffhaye website, they advise that long-stem hay is still needed for proper digestion.

Thank you for your reply, but I disagree and have checked with Chaffhaye regarding the addition of hay to Chaffhaye. Their response was, "Chaffhaye is a 100% hay replacement. Therefore, it is not necessary to feed other hays when feeding Chaffhaye."

My girls have been on Chaffhaye for around six months now and are thriving without the addition of any other hay.
I agree. If you go to their website it says that it is 100% forage replacement. I've been wanting to get some for my goats. It looks good enough for me to eat!:drool:

I don't see anywhere on the website where it says that long stem hay still has to be fed.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts