The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The ones I have had to deal with, coyotes, porcupines, hawks, and eagles. I know cougars and skunks are possible. Now I find out so are bobcats!!!!! I have been fortunate and only lost a few ducks and chickens. Mostly to coyotes, and one chicken that I am pretty dang sure was the eagle that I seen in the tree. How long is it going to take Molly to grow up and be able to protect the animals!!!!! It won't be fast enough. Right now she is all teeth and claws, but only use them to chew on me and her toys!!!

·
Premium Member
28,343 Posts
thats just aweful!

I am so glad that I dont have any preditors where I live. If I did I would get a grown dog - pay that extra money - to know that they could take care of the problem, well at least it would give me more peace of mind.

I hope you don't have any issues in the mean time while the little tyke grows up

·
Registered
192 Posts
stacy, dogs running loose are one of the biggest threats, so you probably do have the potential for predators, even in 'safe' new jersey. any fencing needs to be capable of discouraging dogs. even with leash laws enforced, a dog, or even worse, several, can get loose.

needs to know: i am glad that i don't have all those wild guys out there!! coyotes and dogs, and things from the air for any chickens i get, i think are my main threats.

good luck to you!!!!!!!!!! do you keep the goats in at night?

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
We also have dogs to contend with. I feel pretty confident in the fence in my doe pen and buck pen. They are both 5 feet high. And a preditor would have to go through electric fence to get there. Not saying they wouldn't but... My other 2 goats only have electric fence.

I only lock my goats up during kidding season and until the kids get some age to them. Or when ever I start thinking there might be a cougar in the area!!! Hope I never regret not locking them up. We are working hard on improving the fences to keep the preditors out. I worry more about 2 legged ones than 4 legged ones. And no fence is good enough to keep them out. That is one of the main reasons I got Molly!!!!! I do have 2 large dogs in my yard. But they can't protect the whole pasture.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts