Adding babies to existing herd....

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by Encgoatlady, Mar 24, 2015.

1. Encgoatlady

Encgoatlady Encgoatlady

Mar 20, 2015
    Encinitas, ca
    I am buying a new wether kid in April, very young as I want to bottle-raise him for a pack goat. I already have 4 adults, 3 does and a wether.

It just seems really cruel to have only one little baby all by himself, knowing that he will have to endure some serious bullying while integrating himself into the herd. Should I get two babies instead of one so that he has a buddy? Would it then be hard on him to sell his companion when they get older?
  2. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Yes. Two would be good. Make sure they have a place to get away from others.

3. janeen128

janeen128 Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2012
    Edgewood, WA
    That's what I had to do.. A mom stopped letting her son nurse, because she had some sores, so I was bottle feeding him already. So I picked him up a buddy, and now Milo & Otis are my bottle boys..., heading for pack training soon;)
  4. goathiker

goathiker I'm spying on you Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2011
    Oregon Coast Range
    Depends on what you want really. When I pattern a pack baby, I do it one at a time and I am their mommy. They are loose with me daily to help with chores and follow just like my own child would. They bond so much better that way to stay with you and run to you for protection. My young boys are hiking short hikes at 3 weeks old and some longer ones where they are carried if they poop out.
    Given a buddy, they stress out every time you want to take one for out for a training session and while you can train 2 together, it just really doesn't turn out the same in the long run.
  5. Encgoatlady

Encgoatlady Encgoatlady

Mar 20, 2015
    Encinitas, ca
    Thank you so much for the information! Very helpful.