Adding Fainting Goat to my herd of 2 Question

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by GoatMominFL, Mar 29, 2010.

1. GoatMominFL

GoatMominFL New Member

Dec 19, 2009
    Hi, have not been here in a couple months. I have 2 kids right now, 2 beautiful little whethers... a pygmy and a nigerian mix. They are both 6 months old. I have had them for 3 1/2 months now. They are so funny and we are thrilled with them.

My husband has always wanted a fainting goat. He saw them advertised for $50 and went and bought one yesterday. Do not know exact birthdates, but breeder said all their kids were born a week before or a week after christmas. He had them all together and unlike the breeder of my 1st 2 kids, they do not write down birthdates or handle them as much either. They show horses, have peacocks, birds and a very nice farm. My husband was not going to buy if the place was a wreck. All the animals were very well taken care of. I am not in town so he went on his own and picked him out.

This new one is a little whether as well... just a pet for us. He is polled. He is kinda skittish right now. My husband says he will come up to him, but if he reaches out to grab him, he runs away.

My questions:
    Being that he is only 3 months old, will he come around to being handled?
    We put him in a yard by himself so he can get used to just being around humans. The yard where my other 2 kids are is about an acre, much larger and we are afraid to put him there cause he will have so much room to run away from us. Some people say to put him with the other 2 so he can copy them, they come up to us, sit on our laps, etc... nothing skittish about them, but others say to keep him seperated at least a couple weeks so he gets used to us and only us, no other goats around.

Also my other 2 kids who are about 3 months older than him, head butt him, they were introduced for a little while today. They have very small horns right now so they can't hurt the new baby, but my husband send me videos of the 2 older kids showing off in front of the new addition lol.

Just looking for opinions on what's best for this little guy from those familiar with the breed or goats in general, I am a newbie goat owner :help:

Here are some photos I got of him, I am not thrilled with the facial markings, but I let my husband choose. I def wanted a polled one this time, my other 2 have horns, so he said this was the flashiest polled one in his manly opinion lol.... I have yet to meet him.

This is the farm where my husband bought him:
    http://www.thecarriagehouse.com/

I named him "Flash"... at our house this afternoon:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

With the breeder:
    [​IMG]

The herd he was in, his mother is next to him and the father is in the middle:
    [​IMG]

The father, the only buck in the herd:
    [​IMG]

2. Gumtree

Gumtree Lurking Aussie

Aug 15, 2009
    S.E. Qld Australia
    very cute...i know nothing about fainting goats...
    but I bought a dairy goat
    of about 3 years old and she was wild....
    I had her smoochy in about 6 months...not constant handling

3. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    biggest thing for him right now is to not try and grab him. He will associate people with grabbing.

I would bring the other ones into the smaller area with him while you are there, feed treats and show him that you are not to be afraid of but actually have good stuff for him :)

slow and steady -- it will win him over in no time.

4. DebMc

DebMc Member

Dec 10, 2009
    I second Stacy's advice. IME, it also depends on the individual goat. I acquired 2 wild Navajo Angora does straight from the res, both adults. One tamed down right away. The other remains aloof; she's just timid.

I also have 2 Mini Silky X Fainter goats, twin doelings. They're about 3 months old now, probably pretty close in age to your new wether, and one looks very similiar to him. My girls are such a delight and so much fun. I just love them. I'm your new fainter will bring you lots of joy, too.

His sire sure has an impressive rack! :crazy: Wowzers!

Deb Mc

5. myfainters

myfainters New Member

Oct 29, 2009
    Lancaster, CA
    I agree with the others... put your 2 friendly goats in the small pen with him and just sit out there.... spend time in the pen. I always feed grain or treats with the dish under my chair while I'm visiting my babies.... they all know me as that fun toy to jump on and the feed bowl! LOL
    Wow.... by the way your wether sure has a nice papa.... he's pretty. VERY thick.