The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

Registered
Kinder Goat Breeder
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm currently in the research stages of soap making, and I'm wondering if anyone can recommend a soap recipe that has honey in it. Also, is honey the kind of thing you can add at a certain amount to most soap recipes? Or maybe it doesn't work like that? Hopefully I haven't asked a ridiculously uninformed question. 馃槒

Registered
Do you want to use it in hot process or cold process soap? I believe that when you add it to the soap batter is different. I use it in cold process. Just a half teaspoon per pound of oils.
Honey can cause a lot of extra heat and cause extreme gel phase, cracking and heat tunneling or even make the soap volcano out of your mold.
I add it in at trace, but only if my lye solution and oil mix is below 85-95* then after molding I get it cold as quickly as possible in the fridge For about 6 hours.
I hope that helps a little.

Super Moderator
I have used honey in my soap making.. I learned from "The Soap Makingers Companion"
To add
2 teaspoons (10 ml) per 1 pound or (400g) of soap. Add at trace , meaning when you drizzle soap batter onto its self it sits on top with out sinking back..

I highly recommend this book as it offers lots of science behind soap making and lots of recipes.

Registered
I think that helps. I do want to do cold process. So by "add it at trace", you mean when the soap mixture reaches the trace stage?
Yes, a light trace after emulsion. Get prepared to move quickly though if you are going to do layers or swirls, it can accelerate quickly depending on your other additives.
Ellen Ruth Soap on YouTube has a couple of videos where she鈥檚 adding honey that might show you the stages so you can see what I mean. She does things a little bit different than I do, but she鈥檚 good at cold process soap. She makes huge batches, just so you know.

Registered
Kinder Goat Breeder
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have used honey in my soap making.. I learned from "The Soap Makingers Companion"
To add
2 teaspoons (10 ml) per 1 pound or (400g) of soap. Add at trace , meaning when you drizzle soap batter onto its self it sits on top with out sinking back..

I highly recommend this book as it offers lots of science behind soap making and lots of recipes.
I'll be sure to check that out. I like knowing the science. 馃槂

Yes, a light trace after emulsion. Get prepared to move quickly though if you are going to do layers or swirls, it can accelerate quickly depending on your other additives.
Ellen Ruth Soap on YouTube has a couple of videos where she鈥檚 adding honey that might show you the stages so you can see what I mean. She does things a little bit different than I do, but she鈥檚 good at cold process soap. She makes huge batches, just so you know.
I do want to do different colored swirls. So the hotter the soap, the faster it sets up? I'm surprised by that.

Registered
I'll be sure to check that out. I like knowing the science. 馃槂

I do want to do different colored swirls. So the hotter the soap, the faster it sets up? I'm surprised by that.
Sugar (in all forms) create an exothermic reaction when mixed with lye. I sometimes use organic cane sugar before adding lye to my distilled water. Then when lyes added it gets hotter than without so once mixed it needs to sit till room temp. Goats milk also has natural sugars in it that鈥檚 why it鈥檚 best to freeze it and mix the lye in slowly so it doesn鈥檛 scorch the milk.

Registered
Okay, I understand. Thanks, GG 馃檪.

I can't wait to make soap! I love how many endless combinations you can try. All the fragrances, the colors, the ingredients. I'm soaper excited. 馃槄
Making soap is fun! Learn to use a soap calculator and the possibilities are endless 馃榿
I use

1 - 10 of 10 Posts