The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have gotten a ND buckling that I am adding to my herd. He had about an hour and a half/two hour ride in the car to get here. What stuff should I give him to reduce the effects of stress on his body?

I plan to give him Probios and goat Power Punch in just a few, and will be back out to do the girls' evening routine in about an hour and a half.

My medicine supply is small, but I do have BComplex, AntiToxin, molasses, Selenium E gel, CD Toxoid, Red Cell, Pen G, Ivomec, Safeguard, and probably a couple other things I am forgetting.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
He is 20lbs.

The B complex I have is Durvet brand High Level Vitamin B Complex. The bottle says 5ml per 100lbs for calves, swine and sheep. So I guess that makes it an easy dose of 1ml for him.

It says to do it IM, preferable to SQ. This will be my first time doing that, but I've looked up online how to give one of those (and more importantly, where to give it).

I'll also be sure to put out his minerals and baking soda when I go back out. I put a dash of baking soda on his food (he has been getting a small amount of grain at his previous home due to the cold weather that has been here). Luckily, he was getting pretty much exactly what I feed my girls (BOSS, rolled oat, rolled barley, and Calf Manna).

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I know he was treated for coccidiosis within the last three weeks, when they had two other animals show signs of it. I can email and ask about worming, just to be sure. I think he may have told me, but when talking about other stuff, that is one thing I forgot.

·
Super Moderator
32,192 Posts
I would do the B complex sub Q...its less painful for him. The only meds that NEED to be IM is hormones...

I would worm him as soon as you get him home...stress can open him up to worm load...also keep a close eye on anemia, his temp, and any signs of depression or illness for several days once he gets hom...most do very well..but some times that one just takes the travel hard..

for traveling, be sure he has a place to get out of the wind...a dog out tied down with in the cage works good. Lots of hay bed that clean if he wants to nibble...

We just brought four young does on a 7 hour travel..they did very well..we stopped often, gave water..made sure everyone was doing well..a few would except leaves..the others avoided us lol...

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
We've got him home, he is in the barn (our barn is 24x12), half is a stall and the other half is a loafing shed. He is in the stall. He has warm water (with a pinch of baking soda), mineral and free choice baking soda, his little scoop of food, alfalfa grass hay, and straw for bedding down. The girls are in the loafing shed side when they aren't out eating (tonight, they'll definitely be hanging out in there, to avoid the wind). So he has company, and that is similar to the setup he had previously (his buckling buddy was sold about three weeks ago, so he was in a stall right next to the doelings they have, with fine mesh separating them, yet allowing them to see each other).

He loved the Power Punch, so if I give him more tomorrow he'll just get it as top dressing over feed (seriously, he was licking it off my hand when I tried to drench him, and got my baster, I mean drencher, in his mouth like a bottle nipple and suckled the rest of it out).

His eyelids looked nice and red/pink when I picked him up.

As far as worming goes, I've got safeguard and Ivomec (in addition to Molly's Herbals that I am starting my girls on).

·
Super Moderator
14,780 Posts
I'm with happybleats worm him. Before any goat steps out of my trailer they get wormed CDT vaccine and a shot of biomycin. I usually still do the CDT even if I know their history since I read a article saying that its a good idea to boost it in times of stress.....but I guess its not a total need to do ;)

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Is there a spacing between when he has been given the CDT before and when he can get it again? It's been a while since he got it last, but is there any such thing as too close together?

I got a return email, and he was wormed with Panacur on Oct 26, so it sounds like they wormed and treated for cocci in the same time frame. If I reworm, I can hit him with either Ivomec or Safeguard. Since he had Fenbendazole (sp?) as the med in his last worming, I am guessing the Ivomec would be the one to go with, should the other have not killed off everything.

·
Super Moderator
32,192 Posts
I agree with Goat hiker, I dont treat kids under 6 months with Ivomec product either....but safguard is pretty usless in many areas...if you can find Valbazen its a better choice....1 cc per 10#
Might want to keep watch for signs of cocci as well..just because worms and cocci are opportunistic...
sounds like he is in a good set up there : ) best wishes

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm about to go out and check on him. I may just run a stool sample by the vet to see if there are any cocci problems for starters.

·
Super Moderator
32,192 Posts
always a good idea ;)

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Well, he is up and at em this morning, but he has some gunk by his nose/eyes. I took out more power punch and he suckled it straight from the baster. He ate some of his grain last night, and I can see swirls in the hay that look like they are from eating it. He wants to suck on anything he can get his mouth on, even though he is weaned. Strings on your coat, your hands, my husband' s ear when I attempted to take the little guy's temperature....

My thermometer hates me and refuses to work (think the battery is almost dead). The vet is an all across the spectrum vet, from horses to cats, and they have a decent selection of meds. I'm going to find out their hours and run a stool sample up to check for cocci/worms, and will pick up some valbazen/other cocci treatment besides Corid if needed while I am there. I am assuming the yellow gunk calls for antibiotics, right?

All the other goats where I got him appeared healthy, btw.

Eta: I just got done collecting berries for a stool sample. He was eating his alfalfa, one piece at a time, drinking his water, and wanting to socialize. I heard big, gurgly sounds coming from his rumen, and watched him try to follow one of our chickens that hopped over the gate and into the stall with him.

·
Registered
380 Posts
With any new animal it's a good idea to totally isolate them from your herd for at least 1 month. Then if you can put them in a place where they share a common fenceline or something for a week or two before putting them in with your goats it cuts down on the "attack the new goat" thing.:cool:

·
Registered
8,603 Posts
Why don't you guys use Ivomec on goats < 6 mos? Do you use Valzeban instead?

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
He will be in the stall for a while. I don't have a totally isolated area for him, but he is separated by a gate with two layers of wire, one being 1/4 or 1/2 inch machine mesh.

I am still waiting to hear back from the vet on his fecal. She had animal surgery this morning and back to back appointments.

Since he does have some yellow weepy stuff from his eyes, what should I treat him with? All I have for antibiotics on hand is Pen G. His nose is a little crusted too, it appears. He is behaving normally. In case this makes its rounds, I also need to have whatever I need on hand to treat the girls as well, especially Bree. I told the receptionist that I might need to get a script strength med from the vet.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.