Adding New Goat to Herd

Discussion in 'Beginners Goat Raising' started by AmberRidgeGoats, Aug 1, 2020.

Tags:
  1. AmberRidgeGoats

AmberRidgeGoats New Member

Aug 1, 2020
    Virginia
    Hi there! Newbie here, I’ve been raising goats for about 6 months now. I have a Nigerian dwarf pair, female and wether. Since we plan to start a dairy herd, I recently bought a 14 week old Nubian doe. She’s been quarantined and I put her in with the other two yesterday. Since then they’ve been bullying her. Not letting her near the hay manger, butting her in the side. Should I remove her? I want her to assimilate into the herd but I’m afraid they’ll hurt her. Is that a concern? Any advice? Thanks!

2. Tanya

Tanya Well-Known Member

I am fairly new too. But the butting is normal. See if you cant put a second source of feed out for the new goat. Eventually everything should get back to calm.

3. goatblessings

goatblessings Fair-Haven Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2015
    Southwest Ohio
    How old are your other goats? I've found introducing a single into any herd will result on the new outcast being bullied quite a bit. If she is much smaller than your other goats, I would try to pen her next to the others or get a buddy her age.

4. Goats Rock

Goats Rock Member

Jun 20, 2011
    NE Ohio
    You could put her with the one doing the least bullying. When they form a bond, then add the bully. The bully will be less apt to try and pick on 2.

5. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California