The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my goats are typically forage fed.

I'm noticing that the new baby I got, and Cloud my saanen are both a bit underweight.

So I was thinking of feeding them a small amount of grain a couple times per day.

What is the suggestion for adding that to an 8 week old babys diet, and the suggestion for a 3 year old saanen in milk (just feeding her babies I don't want to tax her system anymore).

I do give them alfalfa hay and cubes each day. Not a lot, just enough for a little extra.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Start with a good goat feed,and start slow say 1/2 cup twice a day,watch there stool to make sure they are not getting too much and get the runs,young kids will nibble in it as well,just like with hay and water.should also find a mineral that is goat specific and put it out free choice for them,good luck

·
Registered
279 Posts
Sure, I believe growing goats and nursing/milking does need extra nutrients. I would start offering a little first. They may or may not eat it right away but expect some clump poop when they do. You can slowly increase the amount and adjust as necessary.

·
Super Moderator
59,770 Posts
Agree with the others. Start with around half a cup. Then slowly increase. The 8 week old shouldn't need more than 1 cup. The nursing mom may need up to 4 or 5 cups.

·
Registered
31,474 Posts
you should be able to...just go slow...since they are not used to feed at all..I agree with 1/2 cup to start and get mom up to 3-4 cups or more..depending on how much milk she makes....watch poop to let you know if its too fast....:)

·
Registered
31,474 Posts
sounds like a good start : )

1 - 8 of 8 Posts