adding vinager to drinking water

Discussion in 'Beginners Goat Raising' started by connie in alaska, Oct 13, 2010.

1. connie in alaska

connie in alaska New Member

Oct 8, 2010
    somewhere i read that you should put apple cider vinager in your goats drinking water but cant find where to know how much and if its for all goats or just billies. peace connie in alaska

2. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    you can add it to all of your goats' water, usually just a little 'glug' or two depending on the size of the buckets

3. Realfoodmama

Realfoodmama New Member

Apr 12, 2010
    Santa Fe, NM
    Just out of curiosity, what is the benefit of adding ACV? Does it help to prevent UC?

4. milkmaid

milkmaid I'm not addicted - I'm in love!

I put enough in the water so each goat gets about a teaspoon each per day - all the goats, not just the boys. These are minis, so you could increase that if you have full-size goats.

There are several health benefits to ACV. A lot of people do use it to prevent UC in bucks and wethers. I've read that "it shouldn't work" and the scientific reason:
    (http://www.triquestboergoats.com/uctreat.htm) "Apple cider vinegar does not work to prevent urinary stones. No way, no how. The 'acidifying agent' of vinegar is acetic acid. The bacteria in a goat's rumen make tons of acetic acid as a part of digestive process. What you are feeding them is literally a drop in the bucket compared to what they naturally make themselves."

- but lots of people use it and say it works. I do. I've never heard a story of it not working. Maybe it's not the acid that works, but something else. DISCLAIMER: Educate yourself and use your own judgment. Kidney stones are pretty awful.

It contains potassium and other trace minerals, and is supposed to be very effective in helping does to kid easier. Some people put it in the goats' water to keep algae from growing.
    And - but I don't know if this has been scientifically proven - ACV given to does at breeding time is supposed to significantly increase the number of doelings.

That's enough to win me over! :)

5. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    ACV also works well when used diluted in a spray bottle and sprayed on goats as a fly repellant.

6. Realfoodmama

Realfoodmama New Member

Apr 12, 2010
    Santa Fe, NM
    I ask mainly because ACV with the mother in it is supposed to be of huge benefit to people...again no one knows why! Was hoping maybe the goats could shed some light on it ;)

7. connie in alaska

connie in alaska New Member

Oct 8, 2010
    Thanks so much for all the replies. I will put a good glug in their water daily! Maybe about a half cup per 5 gallons? Doesnt sound like it can hurt and for whatever reason it helps I wll be happy! We had to put down our first buck only a short while ago because of stones and I never want to go thru that again! Ya know when we got him and found his name to be Dooley after the song hang down your head Tom Dooley i had a bad feeling. *sigh*. Peace Connie in Alaska

8. milkmaid

milkmaid I'm not addicted - I'm in love!

I use unpasteurized cider vinegar because it's supposed to be a little better. It doesn't have the mother in it though. I know somebody who takes it (himself) with the mother in it...not sure why.