The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since we got our 3 Nigerian goats they’ve been sleeping in a penned off area in our garage that used to be for our dog. We have a kennel out in the pen that they spend their day in but they never go in it. I thought I’d try them sleeping in there tonight as that’s what we built it for. I’m second guessing if it’s adequate enough. I think i May be overthinking it because it’s outside instead of inside the garage. We live in California and the lows here recently are around 50. So not very cold nor windy. I also plan to take the dog igloo out i think - it just takes up so much room.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,990 Posts
That looks like a.great bedroom! If they don't use the dogloo, no sense in keeping it.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Love this! We’re really worried about coyotes in our area (13,000 acre state forest behind us in NH). Our guys are small right now and staying in the basement at night in a temporary pen we setup because they are 5 weeks old. But I love this idea. They have a IBC tote tank for shelter outside during the day that they like but it’s not “safe” against predators so I think I will do something similar to this to lock them up at night. Thanks for the inspiration!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Just know that coyotes are said to be able to climb an 8' fence and given several hours over night they can dig under most fencing if determined to get prey. One of the best protections against coyotes is a fence with electric wire run on the outside - one wire a few inches above the ground (to prevent digging) and one several feet up (to prevent climbing or jumping).

·
Registered
29 Posts
Just know that coyotes are said to be able to climb an 8' fence and given several hours over night they can dig under most fencing if determined to get prey. One of the best protections against coyotes is a fence with electric wire run on the outside - one wire a few inches above the ground (to prevent digging) and one several feet up (to prevent climbing or jumping).
We will have predator lights. Motion sensor spot lights around their enclosure to scare them as well but we do have electric wire planned to go with our 6ft fence.

We haven't seen or heard any in the area but it's a precaution. We'll have chickens soon as well so I expect they will be the target over the goats. But the main goal is to have a smaller lockable space for everyone at nighttime within the pasture.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Since we got our 3 Nigerian goats they've been sleeping in a penned off area in our garage that used to be for our dog. We have a kennel out in the pen that they spend their day in but they never go in it. I thought I'd try them sleeping in there tonight as that's what we built it for. I'm second guessing if it's adequate enough. I think i May be overthinking it because it's outside instead of inside the garage. We live in California and the lows here recently are around 50. So not very cold nor windy. I also plan to take the dog igloo out i think - it just takes up so much room.
What brand kennel is that (where did you get it) and have you found it to be out high quality? I have been looking at kennel options and short of spending way more than I need to (or just building a small barn myself instead, I'm unsure of the quality I'm finding.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts