ADGA membership and alfalfa pellets question

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by ThreeHavens, Aug 21, 2017.

1. ThreeHavens

ThreeHavens 7 does - 2 bucks - 1 wether

Oct 20, 2011
    New Jersey
    Hey, all! Back in 2012 when we started, my mom and I both had ADGA memberships. Mine was a junior membership, and I could use her herd name and tattoo numbers.

Now that I'm a regular member I've been told by ADGA that I can still use her herd name and tattoo numbers, which is awesome. But I haven't been able to get an answer to another question.

While we enjoy this adventure together, I am in charge of the registration, selling, nutrition, etc. We thought it may save some money if we just had the goats in my name and she discontinued her ADGA membership. But I want to make sure we retain our herd name and tattoo letters. Any experience on this?

I also had an alfalfa pellets question. Is there any binding agent used in alfalfa pellets that may be harmful to wethers? Due to our area I have to give my boy some calcium to balance him, but I'm not sure if alfalfa hay is safer than alfalfa pellets. Thanks so much!

capracreek likes this.
  2. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

I would call ADGA. There shouldn't be any binding agents. Mine is only alfalfa.

lottsagoats1 and capracreek like this.

3. capracreek

capracreek Well-Known Member

Apr 5, 2016
    Missouri
    I am sure if you call them they can tell you if there is a transfer that can be used to change all to your name.

4. goatblessings

goatblessings Fair-Haven Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2015
    Southwest Ohio
    When we renewed, instead of my name and my son's name, I went to my name & family. - Covers you and your mom. Give them a call, I think this may work for you.

5. Ranger1

Ranger1 Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2014
  6. mariarose

mariarose Well-Known Member

It has been decades since I was an ADGA member, and I have nothing to offer there. Except to say I have purchased ADGA registered animals, and since I was NOT a member, found obstructions put in my way for getting inquiries settled. I think they like to promote membership above settling registry issues. Your mileage may vary.

Alfalfa pellets should just be alfalfa, but are quite processed, and depending on your supplier, can be very dusty (my goats hate, HATE, dust). So the hay may be less processed. However, there can also be a LOT of waste with hay, and depending on where you are, you may not have it available all the time. If your feeding program depends on regularity of alfalfa quality and input, you may wish to depend on pellets. Otherwise, or if you have a steady supply of exactly what you want, you may wish to depend on hay.

Rabbit pellets are not pure alfalfa, and are more expensive, so keep that in mind for your deliberations.

Good luck with the ADGA. They have not always proven themselves completely helpful (imo).

7. goatblessings

goatblessings Fair-Haven Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2015
    Southwest Ohio
    I don't think she should have a problem with this, let us know how it turns out!

mariarose likes this.