ADGA membership/herdname/ registering

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by goatiegurl*Oh, Nov 16, 2008.

1. goatiegurl*Oh

goatiegurl*Oh Senior Member

Nov 10, 2007
    Ohio
    I want to become a youth member,but do I need to wait until January to apply because the membership is only good for the current year? Can I also register a herdname/ or a goat at that time or do I have to wait for my membership to be activated? About how long would it take after sending in the application to be a registered member? The kids will be due in April but I want to see about getting my doe reg. as NOA before then,so I can show her,and want to make sure I would get all the papers back in time. Thanks! :)

2. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    You can get your membership now and it will expire in January of next year(that is '10)

Your membership is 'active' as soon as you get you membership packet back in the mail.

It usually takes about a week for them to process applications.

3. goatiegurl*Oh

goatiegurl*Oh Senior Member

Nov 10, 2007
    Ohio
    Thanks. :)

Is there a certain amount of numbers/letters you have to have in your tattoo?

Is there somewhere I can check to see if the herdname I want is available?

4. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    The ADGA will assign your tattoo, I don't know how many letters they allow.

http://www.adga.org I think if you look on the right side there is a herdname search somewhere.

5. harmonygoats

harmonygoats New Member

Nov 19, 2007
    Northern Arkansas
    You can also chose your herd tattoo letters. You can submit a request and see if it is taken yet. For a herd name I think you have to be a member to be able to look it up on adga(member only site), if not just email them. You can submit all your paperwork at once if you want. Be sure to also request a pin number to get on the site. If you have someone else that would also use your herd name be sure to get that form too. There are 3 of us that use our herd name, but the name is in my sisters name but both of us and my mom use the same herd name.

6. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    I don't think you have to be a member to look up herdnames. I did it when we were trying to think of a herdname.

You can also pick out your tattoo letters. . . . we were able to. Just try to make it unique and hope it's not taken. :)

I became an ADGA member in October of last year, my membership is expiring in December, so it lasted almost 15 months. It's also really nice since you're a youth, it was only $10 for me to become a member. Next year, I'll have to pay adult price though. :sigh: ;)

7. redneck_acres

redneck_acres New Member

Oct 17, 2007
    Idaho
    ADGA only allows the Herdname to be a certain amount of characters. My folks have had their herdname for a long time-but they say they wish they would have chosen a shorter name so that they could name their goat kids with longer names. Thankfully my herdname is short so I dont have that problem. As for the tattoo, I just used my 3 initials. My folks used the first three letters of their last name.