ADGA membership or no?

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by StaceyRosado, Jan 18, 2010.

1. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    right now I have AGS registered Nigerian Dwarf goats. I have 8 of them - 6 does and 2 bucks.

I have kept my herd AGS only for one particular reason. But I dont want to cloud your suggestions to me with it.

Can you give me the pros and cons for applying for membership to ADGA for my nigerians only herd? Thanks

2. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    i haven't done it either stacey.. mainly because of funds and you have to send pedigrees..

3. TinyHoovesRanch

TinyHoovesRanch New Member

I only have NDGA and AGS....its too much for 3 registries

4. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    It might widen your prospective buyers having your herd double registered. I have an AGS and ADGA membership, but have yet to double register every single goat, although the majority are double registered. I personally like AGS better, but there are a lot more ADGA breeders in my area so I just figured I'd go with both. Also, if either shows pop up that you want to go to, you'll have both papers ready to go.

5. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    ive shown tons of ADGA shows with AGS papers

6. TinyHoovesRanch

TinyHoovesRanch New Member

REALLY???? you can do that??
    THATS AWESOME

7. KW Farms

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    Really? I didn't even realize that.

8. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    its different in different areas..

9. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    yes I have an AGS leg on Jitterbug from an ADGA show

the thing is that the judge can refuse to sign the special papers you bring with you from AGS so that the win can be transfered. Its stupid and basically childish but they do sometimes refuse to sign them so that you paid all that money and effort and then no win is recorded.

You pay 10.00 per win for the transfer plus the 1.00 for the papers for the show.

10. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    I prefer ADGA but like to support AGS as well - just decided to keep my membership current for both registries because I need to transfer Lilly and Magnolia's AGS papers.

Let's see - ADGA has Linear Appraisal and for me, they have a lot faster service. A lot of people in our area only recognize or want ADGA registered animals. I had two ladies almost turn my goats down because they thought they were not ADGA registered/registerable. That's all I can think of now. . . I kind of like that their milk requirements are higher for earning stars. Makes for further improvement in the breed as a dairy animal. (think I have that right?)

11. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    very few ADGA shows in my area and all ND are AGS registered here so we all do AGS shows.

So it isnt like I am lacking in that area or hurting because they arent ADGA registered as of right now.

Good info keep it coming

12. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    the ADGA thing is catching on down here. but quite frankly i cannot afford to ship off all the papers to get it done for 3 registries.. they can be registered with ADGA, and i have apps, but i myself will not do it

13. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    can I get an ADGA membership and then send the kids with ADGA applications without transferring their parents over to ADGA?

with 6 does and 2 bucks I am not so sure I want to be going through the effort of transferring all that this year for sure. But if it I can get is so the kids can be registered ADGA might be a selling point for some people :shrug:

Still have my nagging issue I havent brought up so I am not convinced yet ;)

14. pennylullabelle

pennylullabelle New Member

I decided the become an ADGA member because I really enjoy the "type" that has developed since the ADGA inception. The goats are not longer, more elongated, with more depth of body and better mammory systems. The "old style" goats developed by breeders who followed NDGA and AGS are nice animals, but there is an evolution of style that I am quite impressed with...

This general dairy/swiss character is encouraged with higher milk requirements and programs like LA. Of course, AGS supports dairy character and excellent mammary systems, but I feel it has increased since ADGA accepted NDs.

oh...and I know NDs are African, not Swiss! lol

However, I maintain all 3 registries. It's not much work. Fill out a paper, copy a pedigree, send in the fee. For me this is an added benefit when I am buying a goat as well. I know I can always apply, but sure don't mind skipping the additional step. The bulk of the shows I am interested in attending are ADGA. The majority of breeders I admire on the West coast are ADGA members and participate in the shows around here.

So, I guess it depends on your goals for your herd. If you want to incorporate new lines and appeal to ADGA members I would say go for it. But you can also present to potential buyers how easy it is for them to submit ADGA registration with AGS paperwork...

15. KW Farms

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA

16. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    thats good to know -- and simple enough to accomplish

thanks thats a Check in the ADGA pro column

17. nutmegfarm

nutmegfarm New Member

Dec 22, 2009
    NE Ohio
    Where I'm at everything is ADGA, so theres really no reason for me to do anything but that. I think ADGA is a wonderful association that is easy to follow and they update regular. The judges and people involved are great people too!!

http://nutmegfarm.webs.com/

18. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Member

Oct 19, 2009
    I don't know much about each registry, but personally, I'd probably just register them to whatever registry shows more in your area. If you can show AGS registered goats in ADGA shows, I don't think I'd double register them... Just me though. Good luck with whatever you decide. :)

19. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    yes but for selling kids its an added benefit to prospective buyers

20. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Member

Oct 19, 2009
    I suppose. I'm sure because they are purebred they'd be registerable. Maybe you could advertise like that?