1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
SOLD!

E4828663-26ED-47CA-828E-F3CBBD68D92F.jpeg

Adobe Acres Blue Moon Rising

He's a beautiful boy and he's given me some really nice kids over the years, but I have a buck hoarding problem and I need to get my numbers down! This poor guy is very eager to do his job, but I haven't had much work for him in the last year, so he's looking for a new herd that can make better use of him.

Blue eyes, moonspots, nice conformation, grand dam is a permanent champion and a Manuka Honey daughter. His kids are always consistent and nice, and often moonspotted.

More photos and information on my website https://www.starsalightacres.com/for-sale.html

$350

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
He is! I had a buyer but they backed out due to the COVID scare, so he's available again.

Moon was also tested just this week (along with the rest of my adult herd) and was once again negative for CAE/CL/Johne's.

·
Registered
47 Posts
How is his temperament? Is he easy to handle?
We have had goats for 1 year (and we absolutely LOVE them) We are trying to up our game and build a nice little milking herd. We have a PB Nigerian buck right now who is sweet, makes beautiful blue eyed babies with our nice Unregistered ND milker. He is pretty mellow to deal with and I feel very comfortable around him. (He’s such a sweetie pie, very gentle) We just invested in a nice little registered doe with a milk star and her bucking who is from Castle Rock lines and would like to begin to have some nice kids in our homestead herd who can be registered. (We are so, so excited!)

·
Registered
47 Posts
For reference, I am an experienced horsewomen so not afraid of handling or being around farm animals- that being said, I still want a nice manageable buck :)

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Moon is not the most mellow buck out there. He's never aggressive, but he thinks he's pretty hot stuff, lol. Im pretty hands-off with him, but I don't really handle any of my bucks much anyway. I'm an average sized woman and I have no issue handling him on my own, but I do have to keep him in his place. I think he'd try to get away with more if I let him.

The good thing about Moon is that he requires very little maintenance. I trim his hooves only twice a year, and even so they barely need it. His offspring inherit his good hooves too. He will eat anything you feed him, so copper bolusing is super easy. He leads easily towards the does, but not so easily away :p He's very robust and has never been sick, never had a parasite issue, etc in the time I've had him. I use Moon to "smooth out" conformation issues in the does I breed him to. His kids this year were all beautiful, although he only sired one litter. (His litter was out of a Castle Rock doe, and I do have one doe kid available if you're looking for those bloodlines. The kid's dam scored a +EEV 87 at linear appraisal last year. Kid is gorgeous red buckskin and blue-eyed.)

Since I originally posted this ad, I've dropped his price down to $300. If you're wanting a super mellow buck though, Moon might not be for you.

·
Registered
47 Posts
That is very helpful information, thank you!! I’m pretty hands off with our current buck, too... mostly because he smells Lol. That is great to know about his hooves - I did our buck, Stetson, last week and figured I might go throw my clothes in a fire barrel because they were RIPE :dazed: I see he looks nice and shaved! Was he mostly ok with that? And for some rapid fire questions: How is he with other bucks- Has he ever had a roommate or is he better off with a castrated friend? About how much does he weigh? Sorry, so many questions! Just want to make sure we would be a good match. We are About 70 miles east of LA

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I used to have a separate pair of clothes for working with the bucks. Eventually I decided I just didn't care anymore and all my friends/family/strangers within 6 feet would just have to deal with it :p

Well, he WAS nice and shaved! That photo was from late summer/early fall last year. His hair has grown out since then but still isn't at full length. He gets the longest, most magnificent coat I've ever seen on a Nigerian! To be honest I don't remember how he behaved for the clipping. Most of my goats didn't love it, but were stuck on a fitting stand so there wasn't a whole lot they could do about it! I do recall him slipping his lead and trying to run away during the bathing process, but I can't blame him given how much goats hate water!
I haven't really housed him with other bucks. When I first got him, he was my only buck and lived in a pen adjacent to the does. I eventually moved the does, but Moon stayed where he was because the pen was better. Ordinarily I would never advocate keeping a goat by himself, but Moon honestly doesn't seem to mind. If you wanted to integrate him, I'd maybe put him adjacent to your other buck for a while and see how he does. He did have a wether buddy for a while, who he loved but who did not love him back, lol. I have since sold the wether, and even though I have other bucks now, I haven't wanted to mess with the dynamic by moving him. And my other buck pens are at capacity as is. He does, however, have a jolly ball. The jolly ball is his favorite thing in the world. It's suspended from a tree branch, and he spends an embarrassing amount of time blubbering at it and sparring with it. I won't sell Moon unless the jolly ball goes with him :p
He was last weighed in February and was 92.8 lbs.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Oh my goodness, he sounds so great! lol I love that he has a favorite Jolly Ball! I’m thinking that’s how our current goats will be for shaving- as long as it wasn’t like wrestling a tiger or something than that’s good with me.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts