The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are your opinions on which registration to register you goats. Currently I am with AGS but my mom is with ADGA, we have goats with both. I was thinking of switching to ADGA or considering registering all goats to both (if that is allowable).

Opinions?

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You can register with both ... I prefer ADGA personally. :)
My first goats started off with AGS but I think I prefer ADGA...I like that you can do the online registration, transfer, paperwork etc.

Also I like that you can look up pedigrees online and plan breedings to see how much inbred is possible to try and avoid it.

I do prefer the option of both..as well just as a personal preference. Just wanted to know what others thought; Pros...Cons if any.

·
Premium Member
15,546 Posts
Go with ADGA. WAY more professional, more programs, more shows, faster with paperwork, etc. AGS seems to be doing worse and worse. This year i've decided to no longer register with them. I'm ADGA registering from here on out. Another advantage is their super easy, affordable online registering. Seriously...such a time saver!

·
Super Moderator
58,925 Posts
What shows are sanctioned in your area? Are they AGS or ADGA? I liked registering with both because I really liked the pedigree from AGS much better. I have also been happier with their service even if you can't register online and all that. But ADGA is what the shows around here are sanctioned through.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Go with ADGA. WAY more professional, more programs, more shows, faster with paperwork, etc. AGS seems to be doing worse and worse. This year i've decided to no longer register with them. I'm ADGA registering from here on out. Another advantage is their super easy, affordable online registering. Seriously...such a time saver!
I am of the online age...so AGS not having online capabilities...well it kinda irritated me. Update with the ages people lol...it just seems like ADGA is more accessible? I guess the pedigree thing and online submission is what I really like about it. I haven't looked into shows but if they have more, that would be a huge bonus.

·
~Crazy Goat Lady~
29,202 Posts
Couldn't agree more!

·
Premium Member
15,546 Posts
I am of the online age...so AGS not having online capabilities...well it kinda irritated me. Update with the ages people lol...it just seems like ADGA is more accessible? I guess the pedigree thing and online submission is what I really like about it. I haven't looked into shows but if they have more, that would be a huge bonus.
Yep...ADGA is much more accessible. Their website is fantastic.

·
Goats of da UP
1,142 Posts
Did the AGS used to be a lot better? Thus far, I am pretty disappointed with them. To me, it seems like they need to implement some big changes if they want to stay current. Like make their website a lot more modern and user friendly. There isn't even a 'search' function on their website! Perhaps their leadership needs an overhaul, first...

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well I have a request into AGS for full transfer transcripts for my three registered with AGS to transfer to ADGA. Sent the request in on Monday via email...lets see how long it takes for them to get back to me........:/

·
Premium Member
15,546 Posts
Did the AGS used to be a lot better? Thus far, I am pretty disappointed with them. To me, it seems like they need to implement some big changes if they want to stay current. Like make their website a lot more modern and user friendly. There isn't even a 'search' function on their website! Perhaps their leadership needs an overhaul, first...
I haven't been a member for years and years like some breeders, but I remember them being so much quicker with registrations and email replies and things like that. Now it takes me quite some time to get things back. I also went to their national show this year...very few breeders were there and the whole thing was more like a tiny local show that was disorganized and dumpy. It was pretty bad and that was a big turnoff for me as a member. It was almost embarrassing.

Then last year they totally switched the locations for nationals...read about it here: http://www.thegoatspot.net/forum/f205/ags-nationals-will-not-nj-127791/

They've just had a lot of issues...from their "behind the times" website to their national shows.

·
Goats of da UP
1,142 Posts
I haven't been a member for years and years like some breeders, but I remember them being so much quicker with registrations and email replies and things like that. Now it takes me quite some time to get things back. I also went to their national show this year...very few breeders were there and the whole thing was more like a tiny local show that was disorganized and dumpy. It was pretty bad and that was a big turnoff for me as a member. It was almost embarrassing.

Then last year they totally switched the locations for nationals...read about it here: http://www.thegoatspot.net/forum/f205/ags-nationals-will-not-nj-127791/

They've just had a lot of issues...from their "behind the times" website to their national shows.
Wow, they actually used to reply to emails?! I have sent some email questions, and have never, ever gotten a reply. The only times I got an answer to something was when I sent in a physical letter with a $1 postage fee, so they'd be bothered to send me a reply!

·
Premium Member
15,546 Posts
Yeah, last time I sent them an email was maybe Feb. of last year? I had a question about coat colors and I just remember it took awhile for them to reply. I haven't sent them any emails since...so not sure how bad it is now.

·
~Crazy Goat Lady~
29,202 Posts
They take FOREVER to get back to me if they so at all! I asked them last year about a tattoo change.. Didn't get back to me.. So I sent another asking if they got it or not... Didn't hear back.. Then (like months with this whole dilemma) I emailed again and got a rude reply that they already took care of it and I don't have to worry.
Well it would have been nice to know! That made me quite upset... Then they have been a big pain this year asking about transferring some of my does to ADGA.. I'm don't with them...

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
KW Farms, ...AGS has an opening in our district for director (actually they appear to have almost all openings) ; maybe I should nominate you lol. You are pretty knowledgeable maybe they just need some more people involved that want change. Actually I found out to late that they actually had the National AGS 2013 shows in Kennewick (only a 15 minute drive). Would have been nice if they sent out an email or something to members. Not sure how it went is that the one you where talking about that you recently attended?

Director terms expiring in 2013:

Director at Large: Heather Fair

District 1: currently open

District 2: currently open

District 3: Sunni Milligan (not seeking reelection)

District 4: Lora Mae Fugate

District 5: currently open

·
Premium Member
15,546 Posts
Ah that is nice of you. Thanks! Unfortunately as busy as I am...I don't think i'd be able to become a director and I kind of feel like i'm just done and over with AGS. I'm in the process of trying to switch any of my AGS goats to ADGA and from here on out am ADGA registering only.

Yes, AGS nationals in Kennewick is the one I just went to. I'm not surprised you didn't hear about it...sadly, the advertising for it was pretty poor. Trust me...you didn't miss anything. I wish I wouldn't have wasted my time to be honest.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yeah I kind of agree with you, just sad to see it fall apart. I AM switching my goats just waiting for the paperwork I need from AGS to do so. If I had time on my hands (which I don't) it would be a fun project to actually get AGS turned back around to be a notable registry. Maybe someone with a little more time and incentive will pick up the reins. Until then I think I will stick with moving on with ADGA as they have a better act together; later down the line if AGS improves can think about double registering but not worth it at the moment.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Amazing! I got an email response today from AGS on what I need to do/submit to get my transfer records. Only 3 days...not so bad.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts