ADGA papers and horn questions

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by crocee, Dec 31, 2008.

1. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
    Is there somewhere I can research the lineage of my Toggenburg? I ave googled the names but can't find ANYTHING. Boers are so much easier to find. I am not a member of ADGA yet but will be soon ( within a month or so).

I changed the name of the post so it wouldn't seem like a thread drift

2. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Re: ADGA papers

If you go to the ADGA website you can trace your Togg's lineage if you know the registered name.

3. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA

Thanks Ashley! I knew it was there somewhere :thumb:

4. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas

Thanks Ashley. Liz I went to the ADGA page and couldn't find it :( . The other link is exactly what I needed. Now this brings me to another question. Her Reg papers say she was disbudded but shes got 12" long horns. Looks to me that someone forgot to do the disbudding as these are not scurs. I am not planning on showing her so will it matter?

5. Amos

Amos New Member

Oct 2, 2008
    Minnesota

Sometimes people dusbud wrong or don't hold the disbudder on long enough, and the horns eventually grow back. I'm not sure if you can change that if you have the papers or not.. but i don't really think so.

6. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca

if you aren't showing it doesn't matter. i don't think the adga is going to raid your farm.. find her with horns and freak out cause it said she was disbudded.. don't worry

7. PiccoloGoat

PiccoloGoat goat girl x0x0

Sep 10, 2008
    Australia

:ROFL:

8. fritzie

fritzie New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    TENN

if you don't plan on showing her adga dosen't care but if you decode to sell her it might cause a problum with the new owner.

9. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas

Is there a way to correct this other than dehorning?

10. Sweet Gum Minis

Sweet Gum Minis New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    Easley, SC

Depending on how wide they are at the base, you can band them. I'm banding a Lamancha I have right now who was not disbudded as a kid. Her previous owners were cutting it off a little at a time but that seems much more tedious and time consuming than just banding. So I'm banding. Anyway let me find the site on banding. Its very informative and accurate from what I've done too.

http://www.greatgoats.com/articles/dehorning_text.html
    Photos...
    http://www.greatgoats.com/articles/dehorning.html

11. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas

I have banned many goats with full horns and many with scurs - so you will be alright to do it that way if you want to show!!

12. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas

I have a goat that I banded and she didn't have any problem. I will have to wait to band this one as she is bred. I think the horn base is 3 or 4 inches around but I am not positive. Will banding still work on horns this size? Shes wild as a March hare and very untouchable at the moment. We have been working with her but have not been very successful. The best I can do is get her to eat from my hand.

IF I band her, is there a way to keep her horns from growing back as if she was disbudded? I have a horn burner for the kids but I don't know if it will work on her after the banding process. Is this going to cause a problem if I decide to sell her?

13. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Banding them will stop them from growing back. i just did 2 boer/saanan cross girls - one 2 years old one 4 years old. the 4 year old was just confirmed pregnant, and when i did my pygmy last year she was bred within days of being banded.

14. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
    The reason I asked about them growing back was because the little doe I banded this summer has deformed scurs that must be re banded. I need to take some conformation pictures of our Boer buck so I will try and get pictures of her horns as well. You can let me know hat you think about banding them.

15. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
    Here is a picture of the Toggs horns. Do you think they can be banded so she will be in conformation with her papers and also be shown?

[​IMG]

16. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    I think you could band her. Just remember when you band her to get the bands slid all the way down to the fleshy base of the horn.