ADGA questions

Discussion in 'Dairy Diaries' started by Emrcornerranch, Sep 18, 2020.

1. Emrcornerranch

Emrcornerranch Member

Jun 13, 2020
    Lincoln County, MO
    Not really sure which forum topic this goes under but here it goes:

I am about to fill out the transfer ownership section on our four Nigerian dwarf dairy goat girls’ papers, and I think I will become a member of the adga first. We plan to register their babies next year and sell the ones we don’t keep. The problem is that I am confused about the ID section on our two bucks’, already transferred to us, papers. Their breeder made it very easy for us and did it all with us while we were there. It’s been a few months, and I can’t remember anything from when we were at their place except: “Goats! I’m getting them! They’re actually letting us take them with us!” So, their is an ID listed with my name on the papers, but I don’t know where the number came from. Was it a temporary ID? If I didn’t become an adga member would I use that same ID in the transfer ownership section of the registration papers with the girls as well? And when I create an adga membership will I have to transfer the bucks to the member account so it’s easier to register their babies and keep it straight? I assume I will have to pay a fee to transfer the bucks, too, even though I am just moving them to a new account.

Also, should I wait to get a herd name until after I hear back from the ADGA and get sent my membership information, or can I do it all at once? Their website is written in a way that’s hard for me to understand.

2. lottsagoats1

lottsagoats1 Well-Known Member

Apr 12, 2014
    Middle Maine
    Does the ID# match the breeders? The ID # is usually your membership number. Did you maybe join and not remember? Maybe the breeder paid your membership? I'm not sure as I have never registered a goat as a non-member.

If you are already on the bucks registration papers as the owner you shouldn't need to transfer.

Way back in the day, I did it all at the same time, initial membership, tattoo and herd name.

ADGA's web site can be difficult to understand. They seem to leave things out or put them in hard to find areas.

3. Emrcornerranch

Emrcornerranch Member

Jun 13, 2020
    Lincoln County, MO
    The ID does not match them, and I think I would remember filling out the long stream of questions on the ADGA website to sign up! Ha ha. I have no idea where the ID came from. Extra reason to transfer them to my ADGA account and get it settled I wonder?

4. Goats Rock

Goats Rock Member

Jun 20, 2011
    NE Ohio
    The easiest thing would be to call ADGA. They can talk you through the entire herd name, your name etc. I vaguely remember becoming a member of ADGA then getting my herd name. Then I transferred the goats I had purchased into my Official ADGA name and number that they assigned me. I waited until I had a pregnant doe to get a herd name.

When you get your herd name, don't have a lot words in it, you only get 30 spaces. That has to include your herd name and any commas, etc. So if you have 20 letters, that only leaves 10 spaces for a kid's name. I wish someone would have told me that. ;)

5. Emrcornerranch

Emrcornerranch Member

Jun 13, 2020
    Lincoln County, MO
    The adga id they assigned me is the same as the mystery id I was wondering about. Maybe the boys are under my account now then? That would be nice. I’m going to fill out the signature thing and pin # thing at the same time I transfer ownership of the girls to the account. Then, register the herd name I want online. Holding the papers in my hand for our tattoo and membership id was so cool. It’s getting real! Shamrock let herself into the goat pen, so she might be pregnant (with Leprechaun’s kid). We’re going to put her with him if she comes into heat again just to be sure, and put her sister with our other buck.