The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have my nigerians registered with AGS and I have a customer who would like to have their kid registered ADGA. How do I go about doing the tattooing/registration. Is it true that I'll need a herd name to register the kid? What are the steps to registration. I have both of the parents original AGS registrations, which I know you need, but I'm really just stuck on if I 1) have to be a member of ADGA 2) need to register a herd name and 3) what tattoo would I place in her ear if I didn't need a herd name?

WOW! Hope SOMEONE can answer that:chin::p

·
~Crazy Goat Lady~
28,461 Posts
The only way I can think to do it if you don't have a herd name/tattoo with ADGA would be to register the kid with AGS then transfer her over to ADGA so she will be AGS/ADGA registered..

·
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's a pretty good idea, I think I'll do that, and I'll also just register my does this year with ADGA so I won't have such an issue next year. I wish I would have just registered them ADGA in the first place.

·
~Crazy Goat Lady~
28,461 Posts
Oh I know what you mean! We are in the proses of switching over to ADGA entirely.. AGS doesn't offer much.. And there are like no AGS shows around here..

·
Registered
685 Posts
Not to hijack your thread, but I have a doe registered with AGS/ADGA, and her soon to be born kids are eligible for dual registration also. Would you register them with both, or just stick with ADGA? And I just got the doe, and haven't completed her AGS papers anyway, would you recommend getting them done, or just doing ADGA? It's my first experience with registered goats! Thanks!

·
~Crazy Goat Lady~
28,461 Posts
I honestly think AGS is a waste of time for me... There are not many things they have to offer other then being cheap.. There are like no AGS shows around anymore and everyone wants ADGA.. Plus ADGA is easier to work with IMHO..

It all depends on your area..
Is this a Nigerian doe?

·
Premium Member
28,343 Posts
Register the kids with AGS and then send all the paperwork with the kids (copy of parents certificates and any transfers of the kids) to the new owners. They can then send to ADGA for what's call dual registration. The goats ADGA registration will have AGS in front of it. No need for you to get a herd name and such with ADGA

Now I don't use AGS anymore and went strictly ADGA

It maybe worth it for you if there are more ADGA shows then AGS in your area to become a member at least.

·
Registered
685 Posts
I don't think I had even heard of AGS until I got this doe, it's not very common around here. She is Nigerian. I have two other goats registered with ADGA, so I guess I'll just stick with that. I may complete the Nigerian's AGS papers, just since I have them, but I don't know if I'll ever do anything with it. Thanks!

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
Again, not to butt in, but this is exactly the kind of stuff I've been wanting to know. I've never had registered goats before, and now I have two NIgerian Dwarfs that are/or are going to be registered; both with AGS and NDGA.What I've really been wanting to know is if I should always register the kids with the same organizations, or get them all triple registered with all three, OR should I switch them all to ADGA and keep it simple?
I have no experience, so I don't know which one is the best.
P.S. I probably won't be showing, but I'd like them to be showable for anyone buying their kids who would be interested in that.

·
Premium Member
15,205 Posts
Sarah, I always recommend registering with at least ADGA. I like to dual register AGS and ADGA and I don't really use NDGA though i'm a member and give all my kid buyers applications to register with all three registries. ADGA, AGS, and NDGA. If you want to keep it simple and go with one, then i'd recommend ADGA.

AGS and ADGA recognize each other so say you breed two AGS goats...their kids would still be ADGA or AGS or NDGA registerable. If you breed two ADGA goats...their kids would still be ADGA or AGS or NDGA registerable. Same goes if you bred an AGS and ADGA goat together. Now NDGA isn't recognized by AGS or ADGA so if you breed two NDGA together...you'll only have NDGA registerable kids. Same thing would apply if you bred a NDGA only goat to a AGS or ADGA only goat. It would still only be NDGA registerable.

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
Wow, that's a mouthful, but I think I got it mostly. ;) I forgot to mention that I am a member of the NDGA already, but wasn't sure if I should join AGS or not. Now I'm thinking I'll join ADGA instead, or possibly as well.
I did call NDGA the other day, to ask if my buck, whose sire was NDGA but dam was AGS, could still be registered with NDGA, and they said if I sent them a copy of his dams AGS certificate, then he could be registered with them. So they were reasonable about that.
I don't really know the market around here; I'll see if I can call some breeders in TX and see what they think I should go with. I like the idea of having triple registered goats, but that may be too much hassle and money to keep up.
Thank you very much, that really helped clear things up. :)

·
Premium Member
15,205 Posts
You're welcome! It's definately confusing at first, but once you get a hang of it...you'll see it's all fairly simple really.

Yes, you just need to make copies of the sire/dam papers and send them in with the kid applications if that goat isn't registered with that certain registry.

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
Thanks again,And don't think I didn't try to find out how it all works before; why do those registries make it so confusing on their websites? Lol. It's funny that most people seem to prefer ADGA because that website confused me more than any of the others! I guess they're better when you're actually dealing with them. :)

·
Premium Member
28,343 Posts
some use the initials of their name and a number. I use the first letters of my herd name. A herd tattoo needs to be at least 3 characters. you can choose whatever you want

·
Premium Member
15,205 Posts
Also, if you think you may want to get a herdname/tattoo with more than one registry. Make sure it's available with the other registry(s) so you don't have to change it later to match them up. :thumb:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts