The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
828 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased two Saanen doelings. Their father is 100% registered and their mother is 50% registered--both with the ADGA. I'm pretty sure that makes them 75%. I bought them at three months old in May (they were born Feb. 18, 2015) with registration applications. They were also tattooed before I purchased them.

However, now that I am looking to register them/send in their applications, I'm getting a bit confused :think:.

1.) Since they weren't registered before I got them, and I am the one registering them, do I have to transfer ownership from their breeder?**

2.) The breeders did not really have a herd name, they put "the" in front of their goat's name. Do I do the same, or do I come up with my own herd name?

3.) I am currently not a member of the ADGA. However, If I decided to join the ADGA before I registered them, would I name them with my new herd name or "the."

4.) Would it be better to wait till Sept. to register them? Why is it cheaper then?

5.) If I register them online, do I get something mailed to me saying they are registered? Am I sent any paperwork?

6.) They are American Saanen. Is that different from Purebred Saanen? If so, how?

7.) On the membership application, there are four spaces for tattoo choices. What exactly does that mean?

**P.S. the breeder filled in the registration application before I purchased them. All except for my name choices and my signature. They also filled in the transfer space.--Does this mean I need to transfer them?

Sorry for the rather long post and any silly questions, I just would like to be really clear on this :rainbow:. Thank you all in advance.

·
Registered
102 Posts
1) if the breeder already filled out the transfer slip, that needs to be sent in with the registration applications, But the goat will be transferred to you with this sheet
2) If the breeder does not have a herd name, you put THE before the goats name.
3) you would still use THE because you are not the breeder (owner of dam at time of service)
5) yes, you should be sent paperwork
6) purebred means they are 100% saanen, american is (I believe) 75% saanen
7) your herd tattoo (you create this for any future babies). This is not the tattoo on the goats you got, but you will use it in the future if you decide to breed.

·
Registered
4,247 Posts
Americans are the result when the sire is registered and the dam is either not or is a % or one parent is American and the other is purebred. Somewhere in the pedigree is an unregistered goat.

Purebreds come from purebred parents of the same breed in an unbroken line all the way back to the beginning of the ADGA breed. (Unless it is a developing breed. Then there are different rules)

·
Goat Girl
2,018 Posts
Americans have to be at least 88% (I believe) If they are less than that they will be registered as a grade and will be given brown papers instead of blue.

You can not register them online because A) the ADGA website is down at the moment and the online reg. may not be functioning for a while and B) You need to be either the owner of the sire and dam at time of service or the owner of the dam with a service memo.

To get them transferred the breeder should have signed the area that says to transfer ownership, you would fill out your information in that section. I would wait until September to register them, not because it is cheaper but because the ADGA website has been down for the last month and during that time the office was not able to process any registrations for a couple weeks. They are way behind on paperwork (last I heard they had just completed June 2nd papers) and with nationals coming up they will likely be even farther behind. By September everything should be caught up so it hopefully wouldn't take forever for you to get your papers.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts